Admission Requirements

Lingnan University welcomes applicants from around the world. Non-local applicants must have fulfilled the General Admission Requirements and English Language Requirements for admission to the University:

A. General Admission Requirements

Please click here for the acceptable qualifications. Qualifications not listed will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

B. English Language Requirements

In addition to the General Admission Requirements, non-local applicants are also required to fulfil one of the following English language requirements :


English Language Requirements

GCE System

One of the following:

  • Grade E or above in GCE AL / IAL or AS / IAS Level English
  • Grade C or above in GCE O-Level / GCSE / IGCSE English / English Language / English Literature
  • Grade 4 or above in reformed GCSE English Language / English Literature

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Grade 4 or above in English Language


A TOEFL score of 213 (computer-based) or 550 (paper-based) or 79 (internet-based)


Overall band score of 6.0 in Academic Module


The following qualifications are accepted as meeting the English language requirements:


English Language Requirements


At least 70% in Grade 12 English Course


SSC / HSC / ISC Standard XII: minimum 70% in English


One of the following:

  • Grade C or above in Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) English Language 1119
  • Band 4 (Aggregate Score: 180-219) or above in Malaysian University English Test (MUET)
  • Grade B4 or above in UEC Senior English Language


GSAT English result within the top 13 percentile (頂標)

Applicants will be considered for admission to the 4-year curriculum on individual basis, subject to the availability of places. Applicants with suitable credit transfers may be admitted to be Year 3* students with Major/Stream/Discipline Major allocated. For more details regarding credit transfer and course exemption for undergraduate programmes, please click here.

Non-local applicants who enter Hong Kong for the purpose of education should make sure that they are eligible to apply for a student visa/entry permit^ issued by the Director of Immigration of the HKSAR Government to stay in Hong Kong for the entire period of study at the University. The University will provide assistance as far as possible.


Applicants who are granted a transfer of 54 credits or more will be admitted to be Year 3 students.
(subject to confirmation of the HKSAR Government) including but not limited to holders of work visa, dependant visa, graduates under "Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates" (IANG)