Skip to Main Content
Liberal Arts Education Transformation For Life
Start main Content

Alumni Affairs

How to form an alumni association?

We welcome alumni to form alumni associations (AAs) to reinforce the bonding between peers of a hostel, student society, sports team, academic department, etc. Interested alumni can make reference to the following procedures on forming an AA.
1. Form an executive committee
A core group of 3 to 5 alumni are needed to kick start the establishment of an AA. These core group members may eventually become executive committee members of the association and take up the major posts such as Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary, etc.

2. Determine the nature of an alumni association
AAs are independent entities from Lingnan University, which could be incorporated as either a limited company under the Companies Ordinance or a registered society under the Societies Ordinance of the Laws of the HKSAR Government.
You may register either as a Society or a Company Limited by Guarantee:
  Society Company Limited by Guarantee
Ordinance Societies Ordinance - Chapter 151 Companies Ordinance - Chapter 622
Government authority dealing with the registration Licensing Office of the Hong Kong Police’s Societies Office
Tel: 2860 7743
Fax: 2200 4327
Companies Registry
Enquiry Hotline (IVRS): 2234 9933
24-hour Hotline: 2867 2600 / 2867 2604
Fax : 2596 0585
Useful information and form(s)


3. Prepare the Memorandum and Articles of Association (M & A) or Constitution
The M&A or Constitution, as the skeleton guiding the AA’s operation, organization and development, should consist of the AA’s mission, objectives, organization structure, membership, roles and responsibilities, etc. The core group members could take the lead to prepare the M&A or Constitution, and should consult the legal advice for drafting the document, when needed.
4. Decide the name of the alumni association
To reinforce the identity as an AA of Lingnan University, and to appeal to graduates more effectively, we would highly recommend alumni to name your AA as “Lingnan University XXX Alumni Association”. However, please note the use of the name of “Lingnan University” is subject to the University’s approval. The procedures of applying for the use of the name “Lingnan University” are as follows:
(1)    Send the request for the University’s endorsement to the AA’s adopting “Lingnan University” in the association’s name to the Office of Institutional Advancement and Alumni Affairs (OIAAA) – Alumni Affairs Team in writing (Email: / Fax: (852)2466-3730 / Address: Room 205/13, 2/F, Wong Administration Building, 8 Castle Peak Road, Tuen Mun, Hong Kong).
(2) Enclose the following documents with the request letter: a) the list of Executive Committee Members of the prospective AA, stating the full name (in both Chinese and English), graduation year, HKID No., and the post in the AA; b) the M&A or Constitution of the AA.   

With the endorsement letter issued by the University, you could submit the application for registration as a Society or a Company Limited by Guarantee under the Ordinance mentioned in item 2.
5. Inform the University
All AAs should inform the OIAAA about their establishment and update us with the following information:
  • Name of Alumni Association
  • List of Executive Committee Members
  • Contact Details (include name of contact person, phone, email, AA's website and correspondence address)
The AA could send in their information via email ( or fax (852-24663730) or by filling in the AA Contact Update Form.

► All AAs should contact OIAAA immediately whenever there are any future changes to the information about the AA itself and/or AA's contact details.