Why HK & Lingnan
Why Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, you will…
- Gain easy access from the southeastern rim of the Guangdong province to Mainland China to explore her cities, culture and countryside in one of the most fascinating destinations in the world.
- Take advantage of Hong Kong's convenient location and excellent transportation from the center of the Asia-Pacific Region to other Asian countries such as Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam
- Connect to the globe by receiving up-to-date news, information and technology from all over the world in this free, dynamic city of offering global connectivity.
- Meet new challenges you have never experienced in this cosmopolitan yet historic city where you will find the best of East and West.
- Build up your international network by making new friends from all over the world in this international city.
For more information, please visit the Hong Kong Tourism Board.
Only liberal arts education provider in Hong Kong and the region
As the only liberal arts university in Hong Kong, Lingnan is committed to the provision of quality education distinguished by the best liberal arts traditions. It adopts a whole-person approach to education which enables its students to think, judge, care and, ultimately, act responsibly in the changing circumstances of Hong Kong, the region and the world.
Student-oriented teaching staff
97.9% of Lingnan's academic staff hold doctorate degrees. In addition to research, they place special emphasis on students’ learning and personal development.
High standard of research and academic performance
In the UGC 2006 Research Assessment Exercise conducted by the University Grants Committee (which advises the Hong Kong government on development and funding of tertiary institutions), Lingnan’s research performance index doubled from 38.85% in 1999 to 76.35% in 2006. In terms of institution-wide research performance across all eight government-funded tertiary institutions, Lingnan ranked fourth, and in terms of the Business Studies and Economics Panel, it ranked second.
The Hong Kong Economic Journal Monthly ranked Lingnan the fourth best university in Hong Kong in a comprehensive assessment of the eight universities in Hong Kong in 2003.
Lingnan, with 85% of its students living on campus at any time, has the highest residential rate among all universities in Hong Kong. The high residential rate means students receive more personalised attention from faculty and staff, preparing them better for subsequent careers. By 2012, when the four-year university system comes into place, we aspire to a 100% residential rate for all students with guaranteed accommodation for all non-local students.
Lingnan is a pioneer in offering service-learning to its students. Service-Learning integrates community service with the students’ curricula and provides a distinctive learning experience for all-round development.
Language teaching and learning
Lingnan students have been achieving the best results among all institutions in Hong Kong in Putonghua tests conducted by the State Language Commission of China.
Lingnan Fast Factsheet
To get an overview of Lingnan and our student exchange programme, please check out Lingnan Fast Factsheet.