Current Areas of Interest
(i) Personal Identity and Applied Ethics; (ii) Aesthetics and Philosophy of Art (Art and Ethics).
- 2005: BA+MA in Philosophy, University of Pisa, IT.
- 2009: Ph.D. in Philosophy, Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, IT.
(Dissertation: Possibility and Counterfactuals: Williamson’s Theory of Modality)
- Feb – Jun 2007: Visiting Student, University of Sheffield, UK (Supervisor:Prof. John Divers).
- Oct 2007 – Jan 2009: Visiting Student, University of Leeds, UK (Supervisor: Prof. John Divers).
- Part-time Lecturer, Department of Philosophy, Lingnan University, Hong Kong, Sep 2009 – Dec 2010;
- Research Assistant, Department of Philosophy, Lingnan University, Hong Kong, Jan 2010 – Aug 2011;
- Full-time Lecturer, Department of Philosophy, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Yongin – Seoul, Republic of Korea, Aug 2011 – Aug 2012;
- Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy, Lingnan University, Hong Kong, Sep 2012 –.
- Sep – Oct 2015: Visiting Scholar at Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics (University of Oxford, UK).
- Concrete Possible Worlds and Counterfactual Conditionals: Lewis vs. Williamson on Modal Knowledge, Synthese, Vol.176, 3 (2010): 345-359;
- (with Paisley Livingston) Philosophical Perspectives on Fictional Characters, New Literary History, 42, 2 (2011): 337-360;
- Functional Beauty, Architecture, and Morality, The Philosophical Quarterly, 62, 246 (2012): 128-147;
- Modal Scepticism, Unqualified Modality, and Modal Kinds, Philosophia, 40 (2012): 403-9;
- The Structure and Content of Architectural Experience, Estetika, 49, 1 (2012): 26-44;
- Fictional Objects, Non-Existence, and the Principle of Characterization, Philosophical Studies, 159, 1 (2012): 139-46;
- Ethicism and Immoral Cognitivism: Gaut vs. Kieran on Art and Morality, Journal of Aesthetic Education, 46,3 (2012): 107-118;
- On Architecture as a Spatial Art, Nordic Journal of Aesthetics, 43 (2012);
- Functional Beauty, Perception, and Aesthetic Judgements, British Journal of Aesthetics, 53, 1 (2013): 41-53;
- Ontology, Reference, and the Qua Problem: Amie Thomasson on Existence, Axiomathes, 23, 3 (2013): 543-50;
- Art and Morality, in Duncan Pritchard (ed.), Oxford Bibliographies Online. New York: Oxford University Press (2013);
- Modal Fictionalism, Possible Worlds, and Artificiality, Acta Analytica, 28, 4 (2013): 411-21;
- The Merited Response Argument and Artistic Categories, Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 71, 3 (2013): 239-46;
- [In Italian] La Critica Etica dell’Arte, Aphex, 8 (2013);
- Life-extension and the Burden of Mortality: Leon Kass versus John Harris, Journal of Medical Ethics, 40 (2014): 336-40;
- Horror and Mood, American Philosophical Quarterly, 51, 1 (2014): 39-50;
- Sibley on ‘Beautiful’ and ‘Ugly’, Philosophical Papers, 43, 3 (2014): 377-404;
- Gendler on the Puzzle(s) of Imaginative Resistance, Acta Analytica, 31, 1 (2016): 1-9;
- The Definition of Religion, Super-empirical Realities, and Mathematics, Neue Zeitschrift für Systematische Theologie und Religionsphilosophie, 58, 1 (2016): 67–75.
- The Acquaintance Principle, Aesthetic Judgments, and Conceptual Art, Journal of Aesthetic Education 50, 1 (2016): 1-15;
- Buddhist Reductionism, Fictionalism About the Self, and Buddhist Fictionalism, Philosophy East and West (forthcoming, 2016);
- Aesthetic Value, Artistic Value, and Morality, in David Coady, Kimberley Brownlee, and Kasper Lipper-Rasmussen (eds.) Blackwell Companion to Applied Philosophy (Blackwell, forthcoming);
- The Early Reception of Bernard Williams’ Reduplication Argument (1956-62), Archiv für Geschichte der Philosophie (forthcoming);
- The Animal, the Corpse, and the Remnant-Person, Philosophical Studies (forthcoming);
- The Will to Make-Believe: Religious Fictionalism, Religious Beliefs, and the Value of Art, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research (forthcoming).
Personal website: http://andreasauchelli.weebly.com/ (copies of some of my papers available here)
Philpapers Profile: http://philpapers.org/profile/5612
Academia.edu Profile: http://ln.academia.edu/AndreaSauchelli