Application for Admission
Applicants who are interested in seeking admission to the MPhil programmes should apply to the University directly. Full-time admittees will normally be awarded with Postgraduate Studentships with a monthly stipend of HK$15,540 (rate for 2016-17).
Applicants may seek admission to the PhD programmes in the following two ways:
- Outstanding and brilliant applicants may seek admission via the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme established by the Research Grants Council (RGC). Successful awardees of the Scheme will be provided with a Fellowship with a monthly stipend of HK$20,000.
- Applicants may apply to the University directly. Successful applicants will normally be provided with a Postgraduate Studentship with a monthly stipend of HK$15,760*.
*To be revised to HK$16,080 after confimation of candidature (rates for 2016-17).
Each applicant may apply for a maximum of two programmes. This restriction also applies to a PhD applicant submitting applications in both ways, i.e. via Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme and directly to the University. It is however expected that applicants will apply through either one of the two ways.
It is permissible for an applicant to apply for two PhD programmes, one via the HKPFS and one via direct admission to the University, as long as he/she does not apply for the same programme in two ways. HKPFS applicants who are nominated but are not finally offered the Fellowship, and those not selected for nomination for the Fellowship, will be given consideration for admission as PhD students at Lingnan taking up places assigned to the University with Postgraduate Studentship awards.
The University deems it beneficial for those who have pursued a bachelor's degree and a master's degree at Lingnan to gain exposure by studying a PhD programme in another institution. They are therefore advised NOT to submit an application for PhD admission to the University.
For admission to PhD programmes via the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme, an applicant has to make an initial application on the RGC online system by 1 December 2016 (HKT 12:00:00) and submit a full application to the University by 2 December 2016.
To apply for admission to MPhil/PhD programmes directly, applications have to submit applications from 1 November 2016 to 27 January 2017. Late applications will be considered on an individual basis, subject to the availability of places.
- Admission Criteria and Requirements
- Online Application
- Period of Study
- Current Research Areas
- Supervision and Progress of Students
- Announcement of Application Results
- Requirements for MPhil/PhD Degree
- Applicants from Outside Hong Kong
- Applicants with Physical or other Disabilities