Meaning of the Lingnan Logo
The mountain, river, trees and path illustrated in the University logo each symbolise a profound principle:
- The White Cloud Mountain depicts the highest aspiration in life;
- The Pearl River represents the wide dissemination of Lingnan education;
- The lychee trees - with ripe fruit hanging in clusters - represent the commitment to realise the precept "For God, for Country, and for Lingnan";
- The path represents the road to the future by virtue of hard work;
- The panoramic view of the campus in the emblem 'reminds alumni and friends of Lingnan of their loyalty wherever they may be. The red and grey colours of the emblem help nourish the sentiment; they are "blood-red and iron-grey", symbolizing loyalty and steadfastness. The red and grey reflect the Lingnan spirit, a spirit inspiring them to lay the foundations for a splendid future forever'1.
Please see the Lingnan University Graphic Identity Guidelines for reference (for staff only).
1 Lee, Sui-ming. A Phoenix of South China : The Story of Lingnan (University) College Sun Yat-sen University. Hong Kong: The Commercial Press, 2005.
Broad the plain before us reaches,
Far the mountains ever guard us,
College mother, calm thou standest,
Wondrous land our fathers gave us,
In thy care bright years are bringing
To thy life, these years were giving
In the years and strife before us
Courage, then, as joy thou'lt give us, Alma Mater Hail!