The Liberal Art University in Hong Kong

English Courses Required for Graduation

CEAL offers several types of language enhancement courses in order to meet the English language graduation requirement of students at Lingnan.

Course types offered include the following:

I. Core English Courses

II. Free Elective Courses

III. Additional Language Courses


    For more information on which English language Enhancement (ELE) Curriculum courses non-HKDSE students have to take please see the information below:

    1) JEE admittees are required to take LUE1001 (Group A), unless they have evidence suggesting that they have fulfilled other English proficiency benchmarks recognized by Lingnan.  For more details please refer to the table below.

       Minimum English Language Scores for Group B Students
    IELTS Academic Module
    Overall band score of 6.5
    Overall band score of 6.5
    GCE System
    Grade C in GCE A Level English
    Baccalaureate (IB)
    English A : Grade 5 in HL or Grade 6 in SL
    English B : Grade 6 in HL or Grade 7 in SL
    87 overall, minimum of 17 in Listening, 18 in Reading, 17 in Speaking and 20 in Writing
    Pearson PTE Academic /
    58 overall, minimum of 42 in all components
    Cambridge English Scale
    176 overall with at least 170 in each element
    Trinity ISE
    ISE II Distinction or ISE III Pass
    English Language

    B2 Communicator with 39 in each skill area

    2) Students with the above qualifications are classified as Group B, i.e., not required to take LUE1001. Students are required to submit the credit transfer/ course exemption application form via their major Department for endorsement and forward it to the Registry for further processing.

    3) Students with qualifications other than the above-mentioned tests, should be assessed by CEAL individually on a case-by-case basis.

    4) All Non-JUPAS students who have obtained HKDSE Level 4 or above are also required to submit the application for course exemption of LUE1001 via their major Department/Programme for endorsement and forward it to the Registry for further processing.

    For more information please visit the English Language Graduation Requirement page and
    the English Language Enhancement (ELE) Curriculum page.