Health and Social Services Management Programme (HSSM)
Service-Learning for Integrating Knowledge and Practice
What is Service Learning?
Service Learning@Lingnan celebrates the marriage of rigorous academic study and impactful projects that benefit local and global communities . Through Service Learning, students will gain a deeper understanding of course content , a broader appreciation of the discipline , and an enhanced sense of global citizenship . Service Learning allows liberal arts students to put their interdisciplinary training into practice and sharpen their problem solving skills by tackling the challenges of the 21st century.
Health and Social Service Project (HSM4002)
Health and Social Service Project (HSM4002) provides an opportunity for final year students to apply class room knowledge to a work setting. Students will have a 40-hour work experience in a wide range of health and social service organizations. They will have an academic supervisor and an agency supervisor to support their work placement. Former students had their service-learning in the following organizations for serving young people, older people, immigrants and deprived social groups:
- Evangelical Lutheran Church Social Service-Hong Kong
- Baptist Oi Kwan Social Service
- Caritas-Hong Kong
- International Social Service
- Health in Action
- Urban Peacemaker
- Evangelistic Fellowship
- Hong Kong Federation of Women's Centres
- Lingnan University - Chinese Medicine Clinic
- Lingnan University - Gerontechnology and Smart Ageing project
- International Music Therapy Centre (IMTC)
- Yan Oi Tong
- N.T. Women & Juveniles Welfare Association
- Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui
After completing the course, students will be able to:
- Identify and analyze a health and social care issue from theoretical and practical perspectives.
- Familiarize with the nature of health and social care institutions and their work.
- Exercise appropriate judgement in planning, designing and implementing relevant research approaches, critically interpret data, and present findings clearly.
- Independently produce a well-organized report with coherent arguments based on either empirical data or current literature.
Positive Comments made by students who completed this course:
- “I am grateful to HSM4002 Health Service Project for providing me with the opportunity to undertake an internship, and Health in Action was willing to recruit me as a result. I am currently employed as a Community Health Officer at Sham Shui Po District Health Centre, which is run by St' James Settlement, and this role is relevant to the internship that I completed.”