Lingnan Entrepreneurship Initiative (LEI)
Points to Note
Statutory Minimum Wage (SMW)
If the local internship is unpaid or the wage is fall below the hourly pay set by the Minimum Wage Ordinance (MWO) (i.e. HK$37.5/hr with effect from 1 May 2019), please pay attention that:
- You will be a “Work Experience Student” under the MWO.
- Exemption criteria for Statutory Minimum Wage (SMW)
- under the age of 26 years at the beginning of employment;
- the student employee and his/her employer may agree to treat a continuous period of up to 59 days as exempt student employment; and
- at most one period of exempt student employment may commence in the same calendar year (whether under the employment with the same employer or not), and
- the student has to make (i) a statutory declaration* verifying this fact and provide the declaration (or copy) to the employer; and (ii) a confirmation of student status for “Work Experience Student” # under the MWO issued by the University before the commencement of the employment contract.
*A work experience student may make a statutory declaration through existing available channels via the Home Affairs Department. Any person who makes a false statutory declaration commits a criminal offense and is liable to prosecution.
# This document is issued by the University to confirm the student' s status at the commencement of the employment.
- Lingnan Entrepreneurship Initiative (LEI) only serve as a medium between start-ups and students.
- LEI does not interrupt the interview and selection process of the internships.