Lingnan Entrepreneurship Initiative (LEI)
LEI collaborates with innovative startup companies, social innovators, and entrepreneurs to provide local and overseas startup internship opportunities for students.
Students can gain in-depth work experience and entrepreneurial insights in fast-growing startups, enhance creativity and sharpen the interpersonal, critical-thinking, and problem-solving skills while provide meaningful support to the partners.
Subsidies will be provided for students to take trans-border summer startup internships. Click here to learn more!
View the List of Summer Internship Opportunities 2019 (will be available in February)
Date: 13 Feb, 2018 (Wed)
Venue: LEI Beta Lab, Cafe, 1/F, Library
Click here to register!
Important Points to Note
(1) Statutory Minimium Wage (SMW)
If the local internship is unpaid or the wage is fall below the hourly pay set by the Minimum Wage Ordinance (MWO) (i.e. HK$34.5/hr with effect from 1 May 2017), please pay attention that:
- You will be a “Work Experience Student” under the MWO.
- Exemption criteria for Statutory Minimum Wage (SMW)
- under the age of 26 years at the beginning of employment;
- the student employee and his/her employer may agree to treat a continuous period of up to 59 days as exempt student employment; and
- at most one period of exempt student employment may commence in the same calendar year (whether under the employment with the same employer or not), and
- the student has to make (i) a statutory declaration* verifying this fact and provide the declaration (or copy) to the employer; and (ii) a confirmation of student status for “Work Experience Student” # under the MWO issued by the University before the commencement of the employment contract.
*A work experience student may make a statutory declaration through existing available channels via Home Affairs Department. Any person who makes a false statutory declaration commits a criminal offence and is liable to prosecution.
# This document is issued by the University to confirm the student' s status at the commencement of the employment.
Enquiry: Jessica Wong
Tel: 2616 8063