Hostel Arrangements and Important Information for UGC-funded Applicants
- To help new UGC funded UG students adjust to university life, all first year students are encouraged to reside in student hostels. Hostel places are offered to students subject to availability. If the hostels are full, late admittees will be put in the waiting list. Students who have decided to stay in student hostels in Term 1 2023/24 should pay special attention to the following special requirement:
- Hostel application and preferences should be submitted via myLingnan Portal. Students should complete the user account activation and Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) in advance. Students who opted to reside in hostel will receive the hostel efees note and link to submit hostel preferences one working day after the online submission in the Online Reporting System. Hostel places are offered to students subject to availability. If the hostels are full, late admittees will be put in the waiting list.
- Full-time UGC funded Non-local degree seeking undergraduate students do not need to submit hostel application in their first year of study. The Office of Student Affairs will contact you for hostel room assignment. The hostel allocation will be done by computer random.
- Full-time UGC funded new local students who submitted the hostel online application by 23:59 on 11 Aug 2023 (tentative) via the Online Reporting System could indicate preferences on hostel and room types. Room assignment will be done by system randomly for application received from 12 Aug 2023 onwards.
- For self-funded undergraduate students, limited on-campus student hostel places are available. The University has approved to set aside certain number of hostel places for full-time self-funded UG students. Students should contact their programme offices for hostel application and allocation details. Students who have to look for accommodation options off-campus can visit our website for some tips and information: https://www.ln.edu.hk/osa/hostel/accommodation-self-funded-undergraduate
Hostel Residency Policy (HRP) and Allocation Priorities
The following hostel allocation priorities, Hostel Residency Policy (HRP) and the assessment criteria for hostel residency beyond the fulfilment of the Hostel Residency Requirement are recommended at the Student Hostel Management Committee (SHMC) and approved by the Presidential Group (P-Group) in June 2022. The principles are further endorsed at the SHMC at its meeting on 28 March 2023.
Allocation Priorities with effect from 2023/24
- First Year UG students to reside in student hostels for better adjustment to university life.
- UG students have higher priority to PG students as they are relatively younger.
- UGC-funded students should have higher priority than self-financed students
- Non-local students should have higher priority than local students.
- All RPg students will be provided with hostel places.
Hostel Residency Policy (HRP) with effect from 2023/24 (for UGC-funded Students)
- All UG students who will study in the University for four years will normally be required to reside in student hostels for two years*.
- All UG senior year students who will study in the University for two years will normally be required to reside in student hostels for one year*.
- To help new UG students adjust to university life, all first year students will be encouraged to reside in student hostels.
- Exemption and/or deferment mechanisms from items a, b, and c are available to accommodate students’ special/personal needs.
- UG students applying for residency beyond the durations indicated above under items a and b will be assessed by their academic performance, leadership, community service and other forms of contributions deemed appropriate.
*Students’ residential experience occurred during the academic exchange will be regarded as a part of fulfilment of the Hostel Residency Requirement.
Please note that hostel residency is NOT part of the graduation requirement. Hostel applicants should take note on the HRP for their eligibility and priority during hostel application.
Hostel Application Procedures and Room Assignment
When UGC funded new local students accepted the offer in the Online Reporting System, please complete question 8 (Student Hostel Application) to indicate if you wish to apply for residing in student hostel in 2023/24 academic year.
- OSA Hostel Team will email you to confirm if the application is received and enclose the hostel fee payment note to students via email. Please make sure that you have registered for 2FA (Two-Factor Authentication) Service and with access to myLingnan Portal and Lingnan email account. Student can also submit hostel block preferences via the online link in the email.
- New students should settle the hostel fee by 21 Aug 2023. Applicants admitted from 14 Aug 2023 onwards will have to settle the hostel fee within one week after the hostel offer is confirmed.
Announcement of Hostel Room Assignment Result
For JUPAS and Direct Main Round application, the hostel allocation result will be announced at 10am on 21 Aug 2023 (Mon) via your LU Mobile App account. For application received from 14 Aug 2023, the hostel allocation result will be announced when student receives the hostel fee payment note notification email.
Hostel Check-in Procedures
The check-in date for New students who will join the New student Orientation (NSO) will be on 25 August 2023 (Fri). The assigned check-in schedule for 25 August will be announced later on.
New students who will not join the New student Orientation (NSO) due to exceptional reasons or preferred to check-in later on could check in student from 26 August 2023 (Sat) onwards.
Please be reminded 26 August 2023 (Sat) is the first check-in date for residential year 2023/24 only, you do not necessarily have to check-in on the first date.
Hostel check-in must be completed in person. It is advised that students should collect their Student I.D. card at the Registry within the office hours before the hostel check-in (except for 25 August, a special counter for distribution of SID cards will be set. Details will be announced later on). For details, please refer to: https://www.ln.edu.hk/osa/hostel/application
Office of Student Affairs (for hostel application and allocation. Tel: 2616-7368 / email: email@example.com/ https://www.ln.edu.hk/osa/hostel)
Campus Support Office (for check-in procedures. Tel: 2616-7134)