Doctor of Policy Studies
- Full Time
- 36 months
- Part Time
- 48 months
- Application Period
- Deadline of Sep 19 Intake: Non-local applicants: 30 Apr 19; Local applicants: 31 May 19
- (852) 2616-8721 dps@LN.edu.hk
Hong Kong’s first Doctorate in Policy Studies aims to reflect on up-to-date research and current practices in the field with an international perspective
Housing, education, ageing, health, welfare, and poverty are some of the key social issues which concern Hong Kong and all other major cities in the world. As a result, there is an increasing interest in advanced studies and analysis of relevant social policies. Therefore, as a leading liberal arts university, Lingnan has launched a Doctor of Policy Studies (DPS) programme, the first of its kind in the Greater China region.
The Doctor of Policy Studies programme has flexible delivery modes and strong experiential learning elements including field visits, and academic workshops and seminars. The field visits (including overseas tours) are to ensure that students understand the current mindsets and practices regarding policy studies in other countries and can conduct their research from an international perspective, without simply relying on textbooks, journals and other publications.
The Doctor of Policy Studies programme offers students a truly comparative and international perspective in understanding the rapid social, economic and political changes in the context of policy making. It is delivered by a team of local, regional and international scholars who engage with students in critical analysis of policy responses to the many global challenges.
To assure its international competitiveness and extensive exposure of students to practices elsewhere, the programme is delivered with support from these leading international institutions:
- University College London Institute of Education’s Centre for Global Higher Education (CGHE) (UK)
- Hertford College, University of Oxford (UK)
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Bath (UK)
- Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of York (UK)
- Graduate School of Education, National Chung Cheng University (Taiwan)
- Department of International Development, King’s College London (UK)
- Research Institute for Higher Education, Hiroshima University (Japan)
- Graduate School of Education, Peking University (China)
Students can expect to visit some of these partner institutions in the UK, notably the University of Bath and University of Oxford.
The programme offers students a wide range of sector-specific policy expertise including education, health, housing, labour and social welfare, children/youth studies and sociology and social policy. It also provides an excellent learning platform to engage students in reflecting on current research and practices in the various policy areas with the support of Lingnan’s numerous partners.
The programme team works closely with the Asia Pacific Institute of Ageing Studies, the Centre for Social Policy and Social Change, the Asia Pacific Higher Education Research Partnership, and the Department of Sociology and Social Policy to provide a high-quality and comprehensive learning experience.
The programme is particularly suitable for professionals with experience in public administration, education sector, non-governmental organisations, and think tanks. “They will gain specialised knowledge plus analytical skills from comparative and international perspective,” Professor Maggie Lau, Programme Director says. “Graduates will be able to successfully transfer and apply overseas policies and practices in Hong Kong, tackle critical social problems by analysing and setting the right policies for the city.”
The Programme provides a flexible articulation pathway for graduates of our master’s degree programmes, including the Master of Social Sciences in Comparative Social Policy or the MA in International Higher Education and Management, Lau says.
- The only professional doctorate in policy studies in Greater China
- Comparative perspectives in policy studies with a wide range of sector-specific expertise
- Excellent teaching team with internationally renowned scholars and policy leaders
- Flexible and interactive delivery modes including experiential learning elements such as field visits, academic workshops and seminars
- Provides opportunities for student exchange at University of Bath and a summer programme at University of Oxford
Highlights of Doctor of Policy Studies Programme Launching Ceremony
Please click HERE for details.
Please click HERE to download the programme leaflet.
More Postgraduate Programmes
- Master of Social Sciences in Organisational Psychology and Education Management
- Master of Arts in International Affairs
- Master of Science in International and Development Economics
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business
- Master of Social Sciences in Comparative Social Policy (International)
- Master of Arts in Chinese
- Master of Arts in International Higher Education and Management
- Master of Arts in Practical Philosophy
- Master of Science in Work and Organisational Psychology
- Master of Accountancy
- Master of Cultural Studies
- Master of Science in eBusiness and Supply Chain Management
- Master of Science in Finance
- Master of Science in Human Resource Management and Organisational Behaviour
- Master of Science in International Banking and Finance
- Master of Science in Marketing and International Business