Master of Science in Risk and Insurance Management
- Award Title:
Master of Science in Risk and Insurance Management Degree (MSc in RIM)
- Intermediate Award:
Postgraduate Diploma in Risk and Insurance Management
- Study Mode:
Normal: 1 year; Maximum: 2 years
- Progression Requirement:
Students are required to achieve a Cumulative GPA of 2.50 or above in order to proceed to the next term.
The Board of Examiners shall, at the end of each term, recommend whether each student is:
1. Eligible for progression towards an award:
2. Eligible for an award; or
3. Required to withdraw from the Programme
A Student will normally progress unless he/she falls within the following categories, any of which may
be regarded as grounds for withdrawal from the Programme:
1. The student cannot attain a cumulative GPA of 2.50 in Term 1;
2. The student has exceeded the maximum period of study, which is 2 years; or
3. The student will be unable to attin a cumlative GPA of 2.67 at the end of the Programme
- Graduation Requirement:
Students are required to complete a total of 10 courses of 30 credits as specified in the programme
curriculum. The minimum Cumulative GPA requirement for Graduation will be 2.67.
- The degree gives an in-depth coverage of the major areas in insurance, with an emphasis on professional practice.
- The degree covers risk management, general insurance, property and liability insurance, life and health insurance, insurance law and regulation, wealth management, insurance and financial services markets, and investments.
- The inclusion of finance electives increases the appeal of the degree to both students and potential employers.
- Explain the theories and practices of risk management and insurance;
- Devise suitable risk management strategies for different individuals and corporations;
- Demonstrate a mastery of quantitative skills in applying risk models and performing risk analysis;
- Apply risk management and insurance products to control risk exposures; and
- Explain regulatory compliance and regulations for insurance businesses in the insurance market.
Career opportunities include positions in insurance companies, banks, and other related financial institutions. MPhil or PhD Programmes are also options.