Outstanding achievements of Lingnan debaters at inter-tertiary debate tournaments
The Lingnan University Chinese Debate Team grasped the First Runner-up in the 20th Basic Law Debate Competition for Tertiary Students in Hong Kong organised by the Joint Committee for the Promotion of The Basic Law of Hong Kong on 8 September, with TANG Hoi-Ming (BA (Hons) in Chinese, Year 4) bestowed the Best Debater of the Match. On the topic of “In Hong Kong SAR, national security is more important than freedom of speech”, the Chinese Debate Team from Lingnan stood for the proposition side against the opposition side from a self-forming team of university students.
The competition was participated by 12 participating teams from various local tertiary institutions and universities. At the semi-final match on 11 August, the Lingnan University Chinese Debate Team won 3:0 as the opposition side for the topic of “Acceptance is more appropriate than rejection in response to refugee problem in Europe”.
On-stage Team Members (Final Match)
- First Debater: MAN Chin-Wai (BA (Hons) in Translation, Year 2)
- Second Debater: TANG Hoi-Ming (BA (Hons) in Chinese, Year 4) (Best Debater of the Match)
- Third Debater: TAN Tsz-Wai (Associate of Arts (Chinese), Year 2)
- Fourth Debater: FONG Ka-Ho (BBA (Hons), Year 2)
Other Participating Team Members (Final Match)
- YAU Yuet (BA (Hons) in Chinese, graduating student of 2018)
- CHAN Lok-Hei (Associate of Arts (Philosophy), Year 2)
- LEE Ying-Ching (BA (Hons) in History, Year 3)
In addition, two Lingnan students joined the 1st Hong Kong Joint University Novice Workshop and Tournament, an English debate competition, from 6 to 7 October and advanced to the grand final. The tournament attracted the participation of around 50 local and non-local students from seven universities.
- CHUI Ming-Wai (BSS (Hons), Year 3)
- FONG Ka-Shing (BBA (Hons), Year 3) (Ranked 8th as the Top 10 Best Speaker)
More in Event Highlights