The 41st Congregation of Lingnan University
31 Oct 2011
The 41st Congregation of Lingnan University was held today. Mr Donald Tsang, Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and Chancellor of the University, conferred honorary doctorates on three distinguished individuals in recognition of their outstanding contributions to education and the well-being of the community. The three recipients are:
• Dr Jonathan Choi Koon-shum, Doctor of Social Sciences, honoris causa
• Dr Alice Piera Lam Lee Kiu-yue, Doctor of Laws, honoris causa
• Dr Patrick Lee Wan-keung, Doctor of Business Administration, honoris causa
At the ceremony, President Chan Yuk-Shee congratulated the graduates on their achievements. He spoke on the importance of competitiveness among graduates in this fast-changing environment, “You are no longer competing only with people locally but those from other parts of the world as well. Therefore you have to equip yourselves with certain skills and qualities including a great passion to learn new knowledge and a keen curiosity to discover and innovate to become irreplaceable or better positioned in society.”
Speaking on behalf of the honorary graduates, Dr Alice Lam said the recipients were deeply grateful for the award. She remarked that internationalisation and quality assurance are two important elements of higher education in Hong Kong. She expounded that having an internationalised campus and the opportunity to go on overseas exchange is crucial in nurturing mature, outward-looking students who will engage not only with mainland China but also the rest of the world in the future.
More than 1,100 students were awarded bachelor’s degrees, postgraduate diplomas, master’s degrees and doctoral degrees at the 41st Congregation.
1. Citation of Dr Jonathan Choi Koon-shum, Doctor of Social Sciences, honoris causa (English original)
2. Citation of Dr Alice Piera Lam Lee Kiu-yue, Doctor of Laws, honoris causa (English original)
3. Citation of Dr Patrick Lee Wan-keung, Doctor of Business Administration, honoris causa (translated from Chinese)
4. Address by Dr Alice Piera Lam Lee Kiu-yue, Doctor of Laws, honoris causa