For Outgoing Students

Application Procedures

Q1: What are the benefits of going on exchange?

Going on exchange can be a transformational learning experience. By studying at your host institution in another part of the world, you will immerse yourself in a new culture. Rather than being just another tourist, this immersion experience will allow you to explore different cultures. It is also an opportunity to challenge yourself in a new environment during your exchange, which would be beneficial to your personal growth, particularly gaining independence and confidence.

Besides, you can improve rapidly at a foreign language (depending on where you go) because of both everyday exposure and intensive language programmes offered by host institutions. It is also a great opportunity to take courses not available at Lingnan.

Q2: What are the procedures and application deadlines?

Please refer to Application Procedures and Latest News.


Q3: Can I change my choices of host institutions after the application deadline?

No, amendments on choices of host institutions in your application will not be accepted after the application deadline.


Q4: I am shortlisted for a selection interview. What is the interview dress code? What should I prepare?

There is no specific dress code for the interview. As the exchange spaces for some host institutions are highly competitive, you should be well-prepared to impress the selection panel for the opportunity to study abroad. Here are some interview tips: (1) understand your intention of participating in SEP; (2) know more about your selected host institutions and host countries; and (3) prepare for questions raised by faculty members and OGE staff in English/ Cantonese/ Putonghua.


Q5: I am dissatisfied with my offer of host institution. What should I do?

OGE allocates exchange places based on the 5 choices of host institutions and preferred host countries listed in your application, your interview performance, academic results and language proficiency etc. You should have made your choices very carefully before submission of application.


Therefore, it is very unlikely to change the allocation of host institutions once the offer has been made to you. Still, you are welcome to talk to us so as to understand more about the host institution offered to you.


Q6: When should I apply for exchange scholarships/ financial aid schemes/ Schemes for EDB Subsidy?

Application for exchange scholarships/ financial aid schemes/ Schemes for EDB Subsidy for semester-long exchange opens only once at a specific period from March to April in every academic year. If you are applying for Student Exchange Programmes (SEP) 2nd recruitment in  March, you should apply for exchange scholarships/ financial aid schemes/ Schemes for EDB Subsidy simultaneously if necessary before getting an exchange offer.

Language Requirements

Q7: Is it mandatory to take an English as a Second Language test like TOEFL / IELTS?

For IEP, it is compulsory to submit your valid TOEFL / IELTS (Academic Module) test results to support your application. You need not to take TOEFL / IELTS only if all choices in your application are host institutions in Mainland China. For details, please refer to Language Requirements.

For student applying for MEP only, you do not need to submit TOEFL / IELTS test results.  But you are recommended to take TOEFL / IELTS if you would like to increase your chance to get a scholarship, since some of which have English language requirements.


Q8: When should I take IELTS/TOEFL test?

Students applying for IEP are required to submit results of TOEFL / IELTS test results to us by the submission deadline. Late submission will not be entertained. Therefore, you are highly recommended to take IELTS / TOEFL as early as possible. Do not wait until the last minute as the quotas for TOEFL/IELTS test gets full quickly and it takes approximately 2 weeks for the release of your test results.


Q9: I have not yet registered for TOEFL / IELTS. Even if I register for the earliest test dates of TOEFL / IELTS available, I will not be able to submit my score report by submission deadline. What should I do?

Since the majority of our host institutions accept both TOEFL and IELTS as a proof of language proficiency, you can sit for either TOEFL or IELTS. You should check carefully the earliest test dates available on the websites of TOEFL, British Council and IDP. Please allow around 2 weeks after the test for issuing of your score report. Late submission of test results for your SEP application will only be considered on a case-by-case basis.

On top of that, you may consider applying for MEP, which do not have English language proficiency requirements. Or you can register for TOEFL / IELTS at appropriate time to meet our deadline of our next SEP recruitment.


Q10: Are there any references for the conversion of IELTS/TOEFL score?

You should firstly refer to the Table of Academic and Language Requirements of our partner institutions.  As a general reference, you may refer to the Conversion Table here.
Please note that the information contained in this website is for reference only, which does not imply recognition from any official organizations.


Q11: I am a native English / Putonghua speaker. Can I get a waiver on English / Chinese language requirement?

Yes, you can submit us a written statement with supporting document about your nationality or native language for our consideration of waiving the requirement.


Study Plan & Credit Transfer

Q12: Do I get credits for courses taken on exchange?

Yes, you can gain credits after approval on your study plan has been sought by relevant authorities. Upon successful application of credit transfer, your credits earned from host institution would be recognized and transferred back to Lingnan and counted towards graduation requirements. For details, please refer to Academic Studies.


Q13: How do I transfer my credits earned from the host institution?

A: First of all, you should check if your official transcript has been sent to OGE. You may have to submit a request form at your host institution before you return to Hong Kong to apply for your official transcript. This applies to most of the U.S. host institutions.

When OGE receives your official transcript, we will process your credit transfer by checking it against your study plan. You will receive an e-mail regarding the summary table of your credit transfer, including your courses taken at host institution, equivalent/substitute courses at Lingnan and number of credits earned. You have to confirm the summary table; otherwise, your application for credit transfer cannot be processed by the Registry. After that, you can collect a student's copy of the table and transcript issued by your host institution.


Travel Arrangements

Q14: Does OGE provide assistance in student visa application and transportation arrangements?

OGE only provides general advice on visa application. In most cases, you are required to obtain student visa for your full-time studies. You can apply for a visa until you have received a formal acceptance letter from your host institution. It is advisable to research the application procedures well in advance. As soon as you have received the letter, please make prompt arrangements and bring all necessary documents to apply for the student visa from relevant High Commission, Consulate or Embassy.


OGE will provide guidelines for SEP participants on transportation arrangements. IEP participants should book their flights through a designated travel agent on their own. MEP participants should purchase air tickets / train tickets / bus tickets on their own.


Q15: I am an IEP participant. How do I book my air tickets?

Please refer to Air Ticket Sponsorships for IEP Participants under Financial Support.


Q16: Can I make changes to my air tickets upon confirmation?

It is not advisable to make changes to your air tickets upon confirmation. Any changes, no matter how minor it is, (e.g. change of date / time / destination) incur an extra administration cost levied by the airline. Therefore, you are strongly advised to plan your itinerary carefully especially if personal trips are involved.


Q17: Do I need to purchase insurance?        

As required by Lingnan, you should purchase suitable and adequate insurance packages covering travel, personal accident, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalization and emergency, evacuation / repatriation throughout the entire exchange period and personal trips.