Why HK & Lingnan
Why Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, you will…
- Gain easy access from the southeastern rim of the Guangdong province to Mainland China to explore her cities, culture and countryside in one of the most fascinating destinations in the world.
- Take advantage of Hong Kong's convenient location and excellent transportation from the center of the Asia-Pacific Region to other Asian countries such as Japan, Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam
- Connect to the globe by receiving up-to-date news, information and technology from all over the world in this free, dynamic city of offering global connectivity.
- Meet new challenges you have never experienced in this cosmopolitan yet historic city where you will find the best of East and West.
- Build up your international network by making new friends from all over the world in this international city.
For more information, please visit the Hong Kong Tourism Board.
A government-funded liberal arts education provider in Hong Kong
As a government-funded liberal arts university in Hong Kong, Lingnan is committed to the provision of quality education distinguished by the best liberal arts traditions. It adopts a whole-person approach to education which enables its students to think, judge, care and, ultimately, act responsibly in the changing circumstances of Hong Kong, the region and the world.
Lingnan University offers different programmes in the areas of Arts, Business and Social Sciences, and our board curriculum covers an array of general education and interdisciplinary courses to provide students with a firm knowledge foundation across different subjects.
Teaching and learning
Lingnan adopts a student-oriented teaching and learning approach, and emphasises close faculty-student relationship. We stress interactive teaching and learning modes that mobilise students to reach for higher levels of intellectual discourse, analytical thinking and independent research capability. Likewise, we also adopt innovative teaching and learning approaches that include internships, overseas field trips, immersion language studies, directed research projects, cooperative learning and action learning.
Campus life, especially hostel life, is regarded as an essential part of a liberal arts education. We now have 10 hostel blocks with 2,600 hostel places. The diverse hostel activities and immense interaction with students of different disciplines and cultural background creates an environment that is conducive to transformation of students from protected teenagers into independent and caring young leaders of broad exposure and international perspectives.
A major objective of Lingnan’s liberal arts education is to provide students with international exposure and whole-person development, particularly through bilateral cultural exchange. This is achieved by sending students abroad to experience different cultures, and by admitting non-local students for exchange or degree studies, so that they can experience our liberal arts environment as well as enrich it. Through cross-cultural interaction and exchange, our students not only gain additional knowledge, but also extra-curricular learning experiences and exposure to other cultures.
Community service is an integral part of Lingnan’s education. We emphasise diversity in both teaching and learning, and use “Education for Service” as our guiding motto. Service-Learning integrates community service with the students’ curricula and provides a distinctive learning experience for all-round development.
For more details, please visit Lingnan's Liberal Arts Education: https://www.ln.edu.hk/admissions/lingnan-s-liberal-arts-education
For more details, please visit Lingnan's Liberal Arts Education: https://www.ln.edu.hk/info-about/liberal-arts
Lingnan Fast Factsheet
To get an overview of Lingnan and our student exchange programme, please check out Lingnan Fast Factsheet.