- Mark a baseline on the floor.
- A ruler is placed perpendicularly to the baseline which cross the baseline at 15inches.
- Sit with the heels on the baseline with feet 12inches apart.
- With the legs straight, slowly bends forward to reach the furthest point of the ruler.
- Hold for 2 seconds and record the distance.
- Perform three trials with the best score recorded.
Male and Female Norms for the YMCA Trunk Flexion Test (inches)
Measuring Aerobic Capacity
- Set the metronome to 96 beat/min.
- Participants step up and down the 12-inch bench to the 96 beat/minute cadence which allows 24 steps/minutes.
- Continues for 3 minutes.
- Count the heart rate for 1 minute after the final step down. The lower the resting heart rate, the better the aerobic fitness.
Male and Female Norms for Recovery Heart Rate after the 3 Minute Step Test (beats/min)
Measuring Muscular Endurance – Push Up Test
- For men, start in down position with hands pointing forward under the shoulder, with straight back and to use the toes as the pivotal point. For women, apply modified “knee push–up” position instead.
- Raise the body up and return to down position, until the chin touches the mat.
- Keep the back straight and should push up to a straight arm position.
- The maximal number of push-ups performed consecutively without rest is counted.
Male and Female Norms for Push Up Test
Measuring Muscular Endurance – Curl Up Test
- With a supine position on a mat and knees at 90 degree, arm at the side and palms face down with the middle fingers touching a piece of masking tape. A second piece of masking tape is placed 10cm apart.
- With a rhythm 50 beats/min, does slow and controlled curl-ups to list the shoulder blades off the mat and the middle finger touching the second tape for 1 minute.
- Perform as many repetitions as possible without pausing.
Male and Female Norms for Curl Up Test