Research & Impact
Research Themes & Achievements
Higher Achievements in RGC Competitive Research Grant Results
In funding results announced by the Research Grants Council (RGC) on 30 June 2017, Lingnan University (LU) has recorded success well above previous years, with outcomes much comparable with sector-wide performance in certain areas.
For the funding exercise 2017/18 in the General Research Fund (GRF), Early Career Scheme (ECS) and Humanities and Social Sciences Prestigious Fellowship Scheme (HSSPFS), LU has obtained funding for 22 GRF/ECS projects at a total amount of $7.4 million. Comparing with our results last year, it is more than doubled in terms of the number of successful projects and a 61% increase of fund.
As regards the HSSPFS, our success rate is 100%, and is one of only 5 successful projects among the 21 applications from all the eight UGC-funded universities.
LU's success rate of 66.7% is the highest among the universities. The sector average is 38.1%.
Panel: Humanities and Social Sciences
LU also comes first with a success rate of 83.3% while the sector average is 35.6%.
Subject Discipline: Humanities and Arts
LU's success rate is 100% (5/5) while the sector average is 54.8%.
With a total funding amount of $1.2 million, we take the second position on the list in terms of funds obtained in this discipline.
Strategic Research Themes
On the basis of Lingnan University’s 2016-2022 Strategic Plan, the University community reviewed our research strengths and identified key research areas to guide the development ahead in research and knowledge transfer.
Having identified the 7 Strategic Research Themes below, we shall consolidate our research strengths and forge closer ties with eminent universities and institutions to promote regional and international collaborations for research excellence and internationalization of student learning.
- Economic and International Development
- Comparative Social Policy and Governance and Social Justice
- Business Ethics, Entrepreneurship and Corporate Sustainability
- Interdisciplinary Humanities
- Transcultural Studies
- Art, Performance and the Contemporary World
- Smart City and Urban Innovation
Performance Highlights in UGC Research Assessment Exercise
The Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2014 confirms that we have demonstrated our deep commitment to research and scholarship while at the same time remaining true to our liberal arts mission in providing quality teaching and mentorship to our students. Some encouraging results for us include:
- In Economics, Lingnan ranks 3rd among all the eight UGC-funded institutions in its 4-star rating at 13%, which is above the sector-wide 11%, and Lingnan is the only institution which does not have any research output in the “Unclassified” category among all Economics cost centres.
- In terms of the aggregate percentage for our 4-star and 3-star outputs together:
- History’s 47% is on par with the sector-wide percentage, while its 4-star rating at 15% puts Lingnan in the 4th position among all institutions;
- Philosophy’s 45% is just 3 points below the top institution and above the sector-wide 40%;
- Translation’s 15% is the best among all institutions and above the sector-wide 11%;
- Visual Studies’ 28% ranks second among the institutions and is above the sector-wide 19% (in the “Other Arts/Humanities” cost centre );
- Other Social Studies’ 25% ranks second among the institutions and is above the sector-wide 19%.
- Accountancy and Finance are to be applauded for proving their strengths in the keen competition of their areas.
Moving forward, we shall continue with our strategy of employing scholar-teachers who are not only dedicated to teaching, but also recognized for their research excellence. We encourage our staff to collaborate with their peers in Hong Kong and beyond, and shall strive to become a world-class liberal arts university with excellence in both teaching and research.