UGC Commends Lingnan’s Knowledge Transfer for Strong Social Impact
The University Grants Committee (UGC) appreciates LU’s passion and commitment to driving the creation and adoption of people-centric innovations with high social values, as in the following highlights.
- Inventing the “Transparent Anti-COVID-19 Face Mask” for people with hearing impairment, which has won the 1st runner up of Hong Kong Institution of Engineers’ Enginpreneurs Award 2021.
- Signing LU’s first licence agreement for its first spin-off company to produce the Mask.
- Presenting LU’s first Social Enterprising Award to encourage student innovations for sustaining natural resources and community support.
- Promoting entrepreneurial spirit in the young generation to help Hong Kong identify and address social issues.
- Impressive growth of LU’s KT activities with a rise of 29% in cumulative income from on-going social projects, and an overall increase of 13% in income from KT, consultancy work and professional development courses.
- Having reached our target of doubling the number of patent / trademark filings in the University’s 2019-2022 Triennium Plan for KT.
On another occasion, LU was also cited by UGC for establishing the Institute of Policy Studies to provide professional training in policy, development and governance for extending research achievements to social impact.
LU Annual Report 2020/21 to UGC on Recurrent Funding for Knowledge Transfer