Master of Accountancy
- Full Time
- 1 year
- Part Time
- Application Period
- 1 October 2018 - 31 May 2019
- Ms Liea XIA (852) 2616-8182 macc@LN.edu.hk
Lingnan University’s Master of Accountancy programme equips its students with up-to-date, broad knowledge of developments in accounting theory and practice from both a global and local perspective.
A Global and Local Perspective
The one-year, full-time Master of Accountancy (MAcc) programme gives students an up-to-date knowledge of accountancy theory and practice from a global and local perspective. The programme provides a high-quality education in accountancy, auditing, and taxation, and equips future executives and leaders with the skills applicable to the needs of Hong Kong and, increasingly, mainland China and beyond. The MAcc programme is designed for those who want to achieve CPA qualification in mind.
Highly Qualified Instructors
The instructors of the Master of Accountancy (MAcc) programme are qualified accountants or lawyers, and most hold doctoral degrees in accountancy or closely related disciplines. In addition to their devotion to teaching, they closely monitor the students’ progress and periodically offer one-to-one academic advising. The instructors’ practical experience and their intimate knowledge of the accountancy profession make them ideal mentors for students seeking guidance about their academic studies and career development.
Enhancing Careers with Soft Skills
Students can improve their career prospects by taking part in training seminars and workshops which focus on soft skills. These include mock interviews conducted by seasoned accounting practitioners, and visits to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and other governmental or financial organisations. Students can also take a QP revision course, an English-language composition workshop, and Cantonese classes.
Alumni are available to answer questions about the best way to prepare for QP exams. The MAcc programme alumni are also planning to set up a mentorship scheme which will advise graduates on topics like job placement, further education, and preparation for the professional examinations of HKICPA, ACCA, CPA Australia, and others.
Accountants are Always in Demand
“Accountancy is a profession that thrives in both good and bad times. It is one of the most respected careers a young person can pursue,” says Prof. Kenny Lin, Professor of Department of Accountancy. “There are many opportunities in the profession in Hong Kong due to the city’s position as a prominent international financial centre. Many multinational corporations have set up their business operations here, accounting professionals are in great demand.”
“Companies are attracted by the city’s sound regulatory framework, the availability of accounting and finance expertise, and Hong Kong’s proximity to fast growing economies like mainland China, and other Asian countries,” adds Prof. Lin. “The financial services industry is a pillar of the Hong Kong economy, and constantly needs an influx of aspiring young accountants.”
The favourable business environment in the greater China area, which is due in part to the Belt and Road initiative and China’s Go Out policy, provides immense opportunities. This, in turn, increases the demand for accountancy professionals. The need for accountancy, auditing, risk assurance, taxation, and other consulting services will continue to grow, as a result of the increased complexity of business transactions, and the emergence of new economies amid rapid technological developments.
Skill, Expertise, and Ethical Judgement
According to the new QP developed by the HKICPA to be implemented in June 2019, in order to reinforce Hong Kong as an international business and financial centre, professional accountants should be equipped with the relevant skills, expertise, and ethics. The Master of Accountancy (MAcc) programme equips students with an up-to-date, broad knowledge of the latest developments in accountancy theory and practices. The programme focuses on developing and enhancing the students’ problem-solving skills, analytical skills, and critical thinking skills. Two courses, Accounting Ethics and Corporate Governance, and Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination, are tailor-made to reflect the special needs of the accounting profession in upholding the highest standards of ethical professional conduct.
What are the Most Important Skills Taught?
“Every module in the programme is important to achieve the desired learning outcomes,” says Dr. Shi Shanshan, the MAcc Programme Director. “But the modules studied in Term 1, which consist of auditing, Hong Kong business and company law, cost and management accounting, financial accounting and reporting, Hong Kong taxation and tax planning, and managerial finance, are especially important. The successful completion of these modules qualifies students to sit the QP exams, which, upon completion, will lead the students to the CPA professional qualification,” adds Dr. Shi.
Special Features of Master of Accountancy:
- Two awards in one-year study. Postgraduate Diploma in Accountancy (PGDA), an intermediate award, will be given to students who have completed the six required courses and achieved a cumulative GPA of 2.67 or above in Term 1 .
- High-quality teaching team and close interaction with students.
- Mutual examination paper exemptions between HKICPA and Chinese Institute of CPAs (CICPA).
More Postgraduate Programmes
- Master of Arts in International Higher Education and Management
- Master of Science in International and Development Economics
- Master of Arts in International Affairs
- Master of Social Sciences in Health and Social Services Management
- Master of Social Sciences in Organisational Psychology and Education Management
- Doctor of Policy Studies
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business
- Master of Social Sciences in Comparative Social Policy (International)
- Master of Arts in Chinese
- Master of Arts in Translation Studies
- Master of Science in Work and Organisational Psychology
- Master of Cultural Studies
- Master of Science in eBusiness and Supply Chain Management
- Master of Science in Finance
- Master of Science in Human Resource Management and Organisational Behaviour
- Master of Science in International Banking and Finance
- Master of Science in Marketing and International Business