Mr. Francis ARTHUR-HOLMES
PhD Student (HKPFS Awardee)
Tel: (852) 2616 7676
Fax: (852) 2456 0737
WYL104/19, Dorothy Y L Wong Building
Department of Sociology and Social Policy
Lingnan University, Tuen Mun, Hong Kong
Mr. Arthur-Holmes is an interdisciplinary researcher. He is a partner, Evidence and Advocacy, (of Cocoa360) and Director of Yale-Cocoa360 Partnership, where he leads research on Farm-For-Impact (FFI) Model with Shadrack Osei Frimpong (the Founder of Cocoa360) and professors from Yale School of Public Health. Cocoa360 is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with the aim of achieving health and educational equity in rural communities in Global South, starting in Western Ghana.
He has published over 45 articles in peer-reviewed journals. His articles on Artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) seek to advocate for gender-sensitive on-site regulatory policies and safe working environments for women. His research also provides empirical analysis on social innovations targeting sustainable health care financing in rural farming communities in the global South.
He had previously engaged with international organisation like Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI) in the capacity of research assistant working on Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) data of 105 countries in 2018, finding information on child mortality and others. He holds an MPhil in Development Studies from the University of Oxford, United Kingdom.
Areas of Interest
- Artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM)
- Interdisciplinary research
BA (Hons) (KNUST, Ghana), MPhil (University of Oxford, UK)
- Arthur-Holmes, F., & Mok, K. H. (2022). Managing the Global COVID-19 Crisis: China’s Strategies and Greater Bay Area Residents’ Responses. In Cities and Social Governance Reforms (pp. 159-183). Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore.
- Abrefa Busia, K., Arthur-Holmes, F., & Chan, A. H. N. (2022). COVID-19’s silver linings: exploring the impacts of work–family enrichment for married working mothers during and after the COVID-19 partial lockdown in Ghana. Journal of Family Studies, 1-23.
- Arthur-Holmes, F., Abrefa Busia, K, Vazquez-Brust, D. A., & Yakovleva, N. (2022). Graduate unemployment, artisanal and small-scale mining, and rural transformation in Ghana: What does the ‘educated’ youth involvement offer?. Journal of Rural Studies, 95, 125-139.
- Arthur-Holmes, F., & Abrefa Busia, K. (2021). Occupying the Fringes: The Struggles of Women in Artisanal and Small-Scale Gold Mining in Rural Ghana—Evidence from the Prestea–Huni Valley Municipality. Gender Issues, 38(2), 156-179.
- Arthur-Holmes, F., & Gyasi, R. M. (2021). COVID-19 crisis and increased risks of elder abuse in caregiving spaces. Global public health, 16(10), 1675-1679