Teaching and Learning Centre
Teaching and Learning Innovation Week (2-6 November 2020)
Teaching and Learning Centre (TLC) is pleased to announce we have a series of events and workshops on offer next week as part of our “Teaching and Learning Innovation Week”.
- Teaching Excellence and Outstanding Service Awards Presentation Ceremony
- Workshops for Students on Robotics and Video Production
- Partnership Panel Sessions with Alverno College on Technologies and Hybrid Teaching
- Access to Many Self-paced Resources to Assist You from Our Collaboration with Alverno College – via MOODLE and the Innovative Pedagogies Series
MORE details and registration links below, all sessions will be available via ZOOM and FACE-TO-FACE as applicable. Sessions will be recorded and available for access as a resource later.
- Making the Most of Blended Learning, 10 - 11:30 am, LKK201 and via Zoom - REGISTER HERE
- Introducing to Artificial Intelligence (AI) Conversational Robotics Technology with the Lingnan Genius Robot (Furhat.io) and Creating Your First Chatbot Program (Student Workshop), 4:30 - 6:30 pm, SEKG03 and via Zoom – REGISTER HERE
- Introduction to 3D Prototyping and Visualization with SketchUp (Student Workshop), 10 - 11:30 am, NAB206 and via Zoom - REGISTER HERE
- Teaching Excellence and Outstanding Service Awards Presentation Ceremony, 4:30 – 6 pm, MBG06 and via Zoom - CLICK HERE for details
- Advantages of Using Technology in Face-to-face Teaching (Panel Discussion with Alverno), 10 – 11 am, via Zoom - REGISTER HERE
- Introduction to Video Production on Smartphones and on PCs (Student Workshop), 4 – 5:30 pm, NAB206 and via Zoom - REGISTER HERE
- Faculty Pioneers Meeting, 10 - 11:30 am
- Sharing Session on TDG Projects, 3 - 4:30 pm, AM201 and via Zoom - REGISTER HERE
- Challenges and Opportunities of Hybrid Teaching and Learning (Panel Discussion with Alverno),10 – 11 am, via Zoom - REGISTER HERE
- Sharing Session on iPortfolo Trial, 3 – 4 pm, NAB206 and via Zoom - REGISTER HERE
For enquiry, please contact email@example.com (email).
Teaching and Learning Centre
MORE INFORMATION - EVENT DESCRIPTIONS
Sharing Session on Blended Learning Project – “Making the Most of Blended Learning”
This workshop will provide for attendees an overview of the Top Sliced Teaching Development Grants (TDG) initiative – “Advanced Blended Learning @ Lingnan to a New Stage”. This project involves the creation of a suite of resources for staff and students in order to increase the quantity and quality of Blended Learning. Presented will be the initiatives on the implementation of blended learning, resources on blended learning as well as approaches to blended learning implemented so far. The formation of various communities of practice and how you can join as well as an evaluation instrument will be shared that staff can use to review their own approaches to blended learning.
Student Workshop (hybrid mode): Introducing to Artificial Intelligence (AI) Conversational Robotics Technology with the Lingnan Genius Robot (Furhat.io) and Creating Your First Chatbot Program
This is the fifth and final workshops in the series of TLC hand-on workshops for students in Mobile app creation, Data Science and AI. After attending this workshop, students will be able to:
- describe the main application of AI conversational robotics
- describe the technology behind an AI conversational robotics
- describe the technology behind a chatbot
- create a simple chatbot program
Student Workshop (hybrid mode): Introduction to 3D Prototyping and Visualization with SketchUp
3D modeling and visualization have transformed numerous industries including film making and product design. This workshop introduces the exciting world of 3D content creation, while emphasizing its connection to the creative thought process. Students will learn an overview of the workflow as it relates to 3D modeling and creating basic models with SketchUp. This workshop offers a skill to the creating prototypes in your learning. After attending this workshop, students will be able to:
- describe the process of 3D content creation
- create a simple 3D prototype with Sketchup
- create simple animations for 3D content visualization
- output your 3D and put in on your iPortfolio
Teaching Excellence and Outstanding Service Awards Presentation Ceremony
This is a biennial Awards Presentation Ceremony to recognise 16 distinguished teaching and service awardees who have demonstrated continuous devotion to quality teaching and service to the University and the community, and 20 students/teachers who have successfully completed the Learning and Teaching Development Programme in 2019-20. All staff and students are welcome to join, no registration is required.
“Panel Discussions” - Alverno TOPICS – ‘Advantages of Using Technology in Face-to-face Teaching’ and ‘Challenges and Opportunities of Hybrid Teaching and Learning’
TLC is collaborating with our University’s partner institution Alverno College (a liberal arts college in United States) to deliver ‘Lingnan-Alverno Blended Learning Workshop Series’, which aim to share Alverno’s expertise and experience in adopting blended learning with our Lingnan community. The workshop videos are available at Moodle for our interested colleagues to watch. In order to better facilitate interactions and exchange of views between our faculty members and Alverno’s speakers, two Panel Discussions are arranged. The Discussions entitled ‘Advantages of Using Technology in Face-to-face Teaching’ and ‘Challenges and Opportunities of Hybrid Teaching and Learning’ are respectively for the Workshop Sessions 1 and 2. Panel members comprise Professor Daniel Leister, Professor Lindsey Harness and Ms Kelly Gomoll from Alverno College, and Professor Peter Duffy and Faculty Pioneers from Lingnan University. Interested colleagues are encouraged to join after watching the videos and studying the resources. More details are available at Workshop Poster and Moodle Course “Innovative Pedagogies Series” (Lingnan Username and password required for staff only).
Student Workshop (hybrid mode): Introduction to Video Production on Smartphones and on PCs
Video production has becoming an essential skill. Students are sometimes being asked to produce videos for their assignments or curate different video clips to be used in their presentation. In this workshop, we will guide you in developing an understanding of the equipment and techniques required in video production and using this knowledge to create and edit a basic video with simple tools on your Smartphones and PCs. After attending this workshop, students will be able to:
- describe the process of making a video
- setup your Smart Phone for Video Shooting
- use additional equipment for Smart Phone Video Shooting
- seek support from the TLC for Video Shooting & Editing
- import video files for Video Editing
- trim video files
- create Title for your Video
- add Transition Effect for your video
- add Music to your video
- add Voice Over to your video
- output your video and post to YouTube and put in on your iPortfolio
Faculty Pioneers Meeting
To achieve the University’s Strategic Plan 2019 – 2025, in particular the area of “to develop smart teaching and learning and other cutting-edge pedagogies with the help of new digital education technologies to support teaching and learning endeavours”, 20 plus Faculty Pioneers with representative(s) from each Department/Unit are nominated in 2020-21 to contribute to Blended Learning professional development activities, collaborate with TLC (and other Pioneers) re Blended Learning projects, and support other pioneers in their Faculty in developing and extending their use of blended and eLearning approaches in their teaching, etc. Items for discussion in this meeting include revised TLC Strategic Plan, new TLC website and an update for the Pioneers on the use of a special grant for research and conference attendance.
Sharing Session on TDG Projects
TLC regularly organises sharing sessions for completed TDG projects to disseminate project findings and outputs to our university community. In this sharing session, a total of four completed project will share their results and outcomes, covering the areas of service-learning, application of Web Geographic Information System in students’ smart learning, flipping classroom and classroom response system. More details are available at Workshop Poster.
Sharing Session on iPortfolo Trial
The iPortfolio (the latest evolution of Lingnan’s ePortfolio implementation) will be:
• learner centered
• pedagogy focused
• academically excellent and relevant to the professional industry
• personalised and foster lifelong creative approaches
In the sharing session, we will discuss plans and work done so far in piloting iPortfolio in Lingnan.