Launched in 2006, the Artist-in-Residence (AIR) Programme brings two visiting artists to Lingnan University every year. During their residency, artists teach a studio course in their areas of expertise. During their time at Lingnan, the artists will pursue their own projects in a multi-purpose studio, culminating in an exhibition at the end of the semester. These exhibitions offer a chance for students to gain insight into curatorial practices. Via the AIR Programme, the Department aims to introduce students to multiple forms of artistic expression, including painting, sculpture, ceramics, video and photography.
The Department recruits two artists per year, usually in the month of October. A call for application will be issued in autumn every year. Applicants will be reviewed by a panel of faculty members of the Department. Every year the Department aims to recruit:
- Artists who enjoy teaching and mentoring students to understand the dynamics of the art world;
- One local artist and one non-local artist (i.e., those who currently reside outside Hong Kong and have lived abroad for at least 5 years at the time of application);
- One established artist and one emerging artist; and
- A fair representation of the media of visual expression and gender balance
Former AIR artists are also eligible to re-apply, with at least a five-year interval from the previous appointment.
- To teach one three-credit studio course in a semester of 14 weeks;
- To use the studio as their principal site of artistic production during the residency, and to live on campus in the housing provided;
- To give one public talk on their own work and a preview of the upcoming exhibition;
- To mount an exhibition based on the work completed during the residency; and
- To produce an exhibition catalogue with the resources provided by the Department.