Launched in 2006, the Artist-in-Residence (AIR) Programme brings one visiting artist to Lingnan University every year. During their residency, the artist will teach a studio course in their areas of expertise. During his/her time at Lingnan, the artist will pursue his/her own project in a multi-purpose studio, culminating in an exhibition at the end of the semester. The exhibition offers a chance for students to gain insight into curatorial practices. Via the AIR Programme, the Department aims to introduce students to multiple forms of artistic expression, including painting, sculpture, ceramics, video and photography.
The Department recruits one artist per year by invitation. The Department aims to recruit:
- Artists who enjoy teaching and mentoring students to understand the dynamics of the art world;
- One local or Asia-based artist;
- A fair representation of the media of visual expression and gender balance
- To teach one three-credit studio course in a semester of 14 weeks;
- To use the studio as their principal site of artistic production during the residency, and to live on campus in the housing provided;
- To give one public talk on their own work and a preview of the upcoming exhibition;
- To mount an exhibition based on the work completed during the residency; and
- To produce an exhibition catalogue or a documentary video with the resources provided by the Department.