Master of Cultural Studies
Launched in September 2003, the Master of Cultural Studies (MCS) Programme runs on a part-time 2-year self-financed basis. Since September 2012, a 1-year full-time mode has been introduced. The MCS is thematically focused, critically challenging and pedagogically original.
The concentration of Digital and Cultural Innovation (DCI) under the MCS will be implemented from the academic year of 2023-24 intake.
Programme Features 課程特色
What and Why MCS?
- Why do you study the MCS programme in Hong Kong? 為何在香港修讀文化研究碩士課程 (MCS) ?
As a city famous for its international and regional perspectives, Hong Kong serves as a window to the world and a hub for translocal dialogues.
- We offer something different, as the MCS programme… MCS 課程… 不一樣的特色
- Deals with two broad themes – ‘The Popular as Critical Culture’ and ‘Pedagogy and Creativity’ to help students reflect on and devise alternative ways to approach current practices.
- Connects global and local issues from the perspectives of cultural studies to nurture global citizens who value cultural diversity.
- Adopts an interdisciplinary and cooperative learning approach.
- 就兩大範疇主題—— 「普及文化的批判面向」及「教學與創意」，引領學生反思現行的文化創意實踐及尋找另類可能性。
- Our students get something different from the MCS programme… 修讀文化研究碩士… 不一樣的經驗
- Equip themselves with up-to-date theoretical and practical knowledge essential to their area of interest or work.
- Learn to develop critical perspectives for understanding aspects of everyday life and contemporary cultural phenomena.
- Network and share ideas with fellow students and alumni from mixed academic and working background.
- Acquire a critical perspective and a set of conceptual tools for understanding practice and politics in different forms of arts.
- Our MCS students MCS 學生… 不一樣的工作背景
- They come from diverse academic and professional backgrounds. This broadens the students’ horizon and stimulates their critical and creative thinking in class and through peer learning.
- The professional fields of MCS students and graduates include, but are not limited to:
- Media and Creative Industries as well as Performing Arts Sector
- Civil Society and Community Work
- Professionals: Doctor, Nurse, Lawyer, Translator and Engineer etc.
- 專業界別 ： 醫護、法律、翻譯及工程等
What is our MCS (DCI) Concentration?
The MCS (DCI) draws on the expertise of key stakeholders experienced in addressing key issues in digital and cultural innovation for a creative contemporary society. Gaining knowledge on these topics will equip students to communicate effectively and tackle the changing social and business landscape. Please click HERE for the details of booklet in Chinese.
Key Features of the Concentration
- 1. An interdisciplinary approach
As with the MCS, courses are designed to draw insights from different disciplines and fields, including Cultural Studies, Media and Communication Studies, Science & Technology Studies, History, and Sociology.
- 2. Multi-actor and multi-scalar perspectives
Issues of digital and cultural innovation will be investigated at small (local district to city level) and large (national to global level) scales, from producer, policymaker and organisational perspectives.
- 3. Inclusion of diverse stakeholders
As tackling real-world issues and creating an inclusive world through digital and cultural innovation require inclusion of all stakeholder viewpoints, academics, policymakers, practioners, entrepreneurs and NGOs alike will be invited to contribute to the curriculum and participate in courses.
- 4. Deep and abiding concern with the betterment of society
Reflexive theories will be combined with real-world experiences and practices in the course. Students will be encouraged to take their own venture into the world of digital and cultural innovation to build a more equal, humane, and sustainable society.
Joining a Free* “Cultural Tour of Commons in Asia” Integrating Travel and Learning
We are thrilled to announce a new initiative on combining travel with study: the “Cultural Tour of Commons in Asia” for the 2024-25 intake or thereafter. The Master of Cultural Studies (MCS) Programme presents this unparalleled opportunity during the MCS/MCS(DCI) * study for those who are eager to broaden their horizons and make a social impact. Please click HERE for the details of booklet in English and Simplified Chinese.
Our MCS Students
MCS Programme Video featuring our graduates and core faculty
To know more about us, please visit MCS YouTube channel.
MCS Awards 獎項
- The Lingnan Cultural Studies Award 嶺南文化研究獎
Target student: The student graduates with the most outstanding overall performance
(a minimum of CGPA = 3.5)
No. of awards: up to 1 per annum Amount of award: $5000 each
- The Best Academic Paper Award 最佳論文獎
Target student: The best papers of students of the year No. of awards: up to 3 per annum Amount of award: $3000 each
- The Best Academic Performance Award 最佳學術表現獎
Target student: The best papers of students of the year Starting from 2014-15 intake: Students obtain the highest CGPA (a minimum of CGPA = 3.5 and a minimum of 4 courses) in the first year No. of awards: up to 3 per annum Amount of award: $3000 each
MCS Entrance Scholarship 入學獎學金
The Master of Cultural Studies Programme offers “The Lingnan Cultural Studies Entrance Scholarship” to very outstanding applicant(s) in recognition of their academic result obtained before their admission.
- Number of Entrance Scholarship
The Lingnan Cultural Studies Entrance Scholarship provides a maximum of 1 Scholarship for the Master of Cultural Studies (MCS) programme and a maximum of 1 Scholarship for the Master of Cultural Studies (Digital and Cultural Innovation) (MCS(DCI)) programme.
- Amount of Entrance Scholarship
50% of the Tuition Fee
- Eligibility Criteria
The Scholarship is offered to the special one who fulfils the following criteria:
(i) meet the admission requirements of the MCS/MCS(DCI) programme;
(ii) have applied for the MCS/MCS(DCI) programme via Online Application System and accepted the admission offer of the MCS/MCS(DCI) programme;
(iii) register to the MCS/MCS(DCI) programme offered;
(iv) indicate that s/he would like to apply for this Entrance Scholarship before the interview.
- Selection Criteria
(i) performance in and/or contribution to the serving community;
(ii) outstanding academic performance;
(iii) other criteria deemed appropriate; and
(iv) recommendation by the panel member(s) after the interview.
- MCS = Master of Cultural Studies 文化研究碩士
- MCS(DCI) = Master of Cultural Studies (Digital and Cultural Innovation) 文化研究（數字與文化創新）碩士