Seminar on "The “speed of knowledge”, teamwork and the organization of innovation" by Dr. Frank van der Wouden (HKU)
03 Nov 2022
Seminar on "Competitive Effects of Resale Price Maintenance Through Inventory: Evidence from Publishing Industry" by Prof. Kohei KAWAGUCHI (HKUST) on 14 Oct 2022
14 Oct 2022
ECON received $487,050 research grants in a project from the Public Policy Research Funding Scheme(AY2020-21)
29 Nov 2020
ECON received about $1.75 million research grants in 3 projects from Research Grants Council (AY2020-21)
18 Sep 2020
Prof. ZHANG Tianle
- Gerenal Research Fund (GRF) - "Consumer Data, Privacy and Search", AY2022-23
- "Experience Goods and Consumer Search" American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, (with Yongmin Chen & Zhuozheng Li), forthcoming.
- Research & Knowledge Transfer Fund Award - "Consumer Search and Product Liability", General Research Fund (GRF), AY2019-20.
- "Vertical Integration and Disruptive Cross-market R&D" (with Ping Lin and Wen Zhou), Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Vol. 29 (1), 51-73, 2020.
Prof. XIAO Junji
- Gerenal Research Fund (GRF) - "Indirect network effects and policy implications: an empirical analysis of the Chinese electric vehicle market", AY2022-23
- “The Selection Effect of Quota Rationing Mechanisms on Sales Distribution: The Convergence of Auction and Lottery”, co-authored with Mandy Hu Bingyong Zheng, forthcoming at Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization.
- “Welfare analysis of the subsidies in the Chinese electric vehicle industry”, co-authored with Xiaodan Guo, forthcoming at Journal of industrial Economics.
- “Unintended Environmental Consequences of Place-based Economic Policies”, co-authored with Maoyong Fan, Qu Tang and Jianxin Wu, American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Prof. QIU Dongxiao Larry
- “Tariff Diversity and FTA Network”, with Jung Hur, Sung-Ha Hwang, and Jihwan Do, Review of World Economics, forthcoming.
- "Research Excellence Awards AY2020-21"- “Export to elude”, with Fan, Haichao; Liu, Yu; Zhao, Xiaoxue, AMSTERDAM: Elsevier B.V, Journal of international economics, 2020-11, Vol.127, p.103366 (#15)
- RGC Competitive Earmarked Research Grant 2021-2023 - “The Learning Effects of Processing Trade on Ordinary Trade in China” AY2021-2023
- Gerenal Research Fund (GRF) - "The Learning Effects of Processing Trade on Ordinary Trade in China ", AY2021-22
- “Export Scope, Managerial Efficiency, and Trade Liberalization: Evidence from Chinese Firms", Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Volume 177, p.71-90, September 2020
Prof. WANG, Yonglin Laura
- "Research Excellence Awards AY2020-21" - “Mortgage Brokers and the Effectiveness of Regulatory Oversights”, with Sumit Agarwal , Swee Hoon Ang and Yongheng Deng (2021), Management Science 67(8):5278-5300. (#BUS07_001)
- Public Policy Research (PPR) Funding Scheme - "Cooling Measures in Hong Kong and its Residential Property Market", AY2020-21
- General Research Fund (GRF) - "How Unaffordable is Hong Kong's Housing Market?", AY2020-
- “Mortgage Brokers and the Effectiveness of Regulatory Oversights” Management Science, March 20, 2020.
- "Research & Knowledge Transfer Fund Award" at Research & KT Excellence Awards Presentation Ceremony 2021
Prof. WONG Chi Leung, Adam
- "Research Excellence Awards AY2020-21" - “Price Discovery in a Matching and Bargaining Market with Aggregate Uncertainty”, Games and Economic Behavior, Volume 124, November 2020, Pages 183-206 (#9) (with Artyom Shneyerov)
- General Research Fund - "Market-share discounts and abuse of dominance", AY2020-21
- “Price Discovery in a Matching and Bargaining Market with Aggregate Uncertainty”, Games and Economic Behavior, Vol124, P.183-206, Nov 2020. (with Shneyerov, A.)
- “Market-share discounts and abuse of dominance”, GRF in the 2020/21 Funding Exercises
- "Optimal Nonlinear Pricing by a Dominant Firm under Competition" Forthcoming 2020 in American Economic Journal: Microeconomics (with Chao, Y. and Tan, G.)
- "Research & Knowledge Transfer Fund Award" at Research & KT Excellence Awards Presentation Ceremony 2021
Dr. HE Lisha, Lisa
- “Spatial Linkages in Mainland Chinese Manufacturing and Service Greenfield Investment: Empirical Evidence From the U.S.”. Journal of Economic and Human Geography.
- “The uneven geography of real estate investment by Mainland Chinese state-owned and private enterprises in the U.S.: Local market conditions, migration, and ethnic networks”, co-authored with Mia M Bennett and Ronghao Jiang, Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space.
Prof. WONG, Wai Chung Gary
- “Certificate of Merit” at Teaching Excellence Awards Scheme 2021/2022
- "HousingHK game: Gamification simulation with social learning for liberal arts eduction" has been selected to be one of the best presentations at WCEEE2021 (2021 5th World Conference on e-Education, e-Management and e-Business, July 21-23, 2021)
Prof. WHITTEN Gregory William1. “Teaching Excellence Awards” at Teaching Excellence Awards Scheme 2021/2022
2. “Certificate of Merit” at Teaching Excellence Awards Scheme 2019/2020
Prof HONG Fuhai
- "Research Excellence Awards AY2020-21"- “Concentration and Variability of Forecasts in Artificial Investment Games: An Online Experiment on WeChat”, with Chen, Xiu and Xiaojian Zhao, Experimental Economics, September 2020, 23(3), 815-847
- Hong Fuhai and Nori Tarui, 2020, Special Issue on Environmental Governance in Asia: Introduction, Singapore Economic Review, 65(3), 551-553.
- Hong Fuhai and Zhendong Yin, 2020, Collusion, Extortion and the Government’s Organizational Structure, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 180, 1-23.
- Hong Fuhai, Larry Karp and Tat How Teh, 2021, Identity in Public Goods Contribution, Social Choice and Welfare, 12 Apr 2021.
- "Research Output Excellence Award" at Research & KT Excellence Awards Presentation Ceremony 2021
ALUMNI & STUDENTS STORIES
The Ph.D. program in Economics at Lingnan University is my ideal doctoral program. I am very grateful for the high-quality academic environment that the Department of Economics has provided me. The Department of Economics is a small and close-knit community. The administrative staff are professional and supportive. Without their assistance, my research would not have been smooth. The professors and students here exhibit pure and sincere attitudes towards academics, and we can freely exchange our research ideas. The professors are also very willing to assist students. During the past three years, I worked closely with my supervisor Prof. HONG Fuhai, and completed two promising research projects under his guidance. Besides, the department often hosts academic seminars and invites top scholars in Hong Kong to present their cutting-edge research. The seminar series provides postgraduate students with an opportunity to communicate with leading scholars and inspire our own research.
Aside from my academic experiences at LU, I lived a simple, happy, and fulfilling life. The university is not far from downtown, which makes life convenient. The location is also not too close to downtown, so I can enjoy hiking with my friends in a nearby country park on weekends. After graduation, I often reminisce about the lovely people at LU and the golden time I had there. Last but not least, from my viewpoint, Lingnan University's Ph.D. in Economics would be a worthwhile option for you if you're thinking about pursuing a doctorate.
My three-year PhD study in Economics equipped me with solid research methodology as well as professional skills. Although the study journey was stressful and challenging by nature, I was fortunate to work with my supportive and considerate supervisors who always believed in me, offered me as much support as possible, and granted me flexibility in developing my research agenda. The rigorous academic training I acquired from my supervisors and cross-institutional courses laid a theoretical foundation for pursuing my academic career in Industrial Organization. In addition to the topic-defense and research finding seminars, the department also encouraged me to present my works in Brownbag seminars, where I received valuable feedback from professors in the department. Meanwhile, the department offered weekly academic seminars on various frontier topics in which students could interact with intelligent and passionate professors from other universities.
I would recommend this program to people who want to pursue an academic career in Economics. Professors in this department are very nice, and they publish papers in high-level academic journals. Students who study in this program would receive rigorous academic training, professional academic guidance, and strong support for research endeavors.
CHANDRA Sonal (UG, 2021)
My love-affair with Economics started when I was 14 and blossomed when I joined Lingnan University in 2017. I am graduating this year not just with a degree but a ton of wonderful memories, skills, and hunger to dive deeper into the field.
Economics at Lingnan University is more of an inter-disciplinary major. A student majoring in Economics at Lingnan University gets exposed to a variety of disciplines not only within Economics but in Social Sciences generally. This broadens the horizon of students and equips them to approach any topic in the field of Economics from a wider perspective.
Moreover, the professors in the Economics department have always been supportive and encouraged me to ask deeper and sharper questions regarding any given subject. The small class sizes at Lingnan University allow for close student-teacher interaction which helped me a lot in seeking guidance and bouncing off ideas with the professors. The enriched learning experience at Lingnan has further fuelled my interest in the field of Economics.
Thanks to all the quantitative and qualitative skills I have learned at Lingnan, I will pursue an MPhil in Economics at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
KATUNZE Miriam Nabawanga (PhD, 2021)
My name is Miriam, and I've been a PhD student in Economics at Lingnan University for the past three years. Pursuing my PhD with the Department of Economics has provided me with a one-of-a-kind experience and perspective that has exceeded my expectations. In my first term, I remember telling one of the helpful department secretaries about the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be provided with all the resources required to carry out my research. For example, the department purchased additional software for my research, for which I am grateful. The enlightening seminars and excellent research assistance were the highlights of my studies. I appreciate the enormous support from the heads of the department during my study especially Prof Larry Qiu, who provided an opportunity to present my research more than the expected or required times. These presentation opportunities improved my work greatly and enhanced my chances for conference selection. As such, I have presented my work in two powerful and career-transforming conferences as a result of the department’s input. I believe that this degree is the first step to many career achievements in the future. I encourage future students to pursue their next Economics degree with the Department of Economics, Lingnan University.
Meng Baosi Bonnie (UG, 2022)
So proud and grateful I am to be an economics major at Lingnan University. At our department, I was exposed to a wide range of courses and seminars covering in-depth economics knowledge and the most edge-cutting insights. These granted me both solid knowledge and, more importantly, a strong and rigorously-logical mindset. I benefitted a lot from the rich opportunities that our department provided to me. During the summer RA internship, I was able to get hands-on academic research experience and work closely with professors. The Best Economic Student Award brought me closer to my goal of doing field studies and going deeper into emerging industries. I will always feel a deep sense of gratitude to the respectable and lovely professors, considerate and supportive staff, as well as my dear fellow peers. Altogether, they emboldened me to achieve professional and tackle any complex problems in today’s global society. Fruitful days at Lingnan passed quickly, but these golden old days will continue to empower me to serve society and realize my value in the future to come.
Zhang Fuze, Amber (UG, Third Year, 2020)
I was honoured with the chance to be an intern in the Department of Economics this summer and had an unforgettable experience. Under the supervision of Professor Gregory William Whitten, I searched out case studies for economics courses to help him with his future teaching. This task exposed me to varieties of recent news and taught me more on different views about hot topics around the world, so that I could keep up with times and develop my analytical abilities.
YUAN Chenxuan, Olivia (UG, Second Year, 2020)
Participating in this summer internship program offered by the Department of Economics was an unforgettable experience for me. Under the guidance of Professor Liu Sibo, I got to know how research takes place and how researchers conduct themselves. By searching information, I understood that Google is not omnipotent. To find valuable and reliable information about government laws on certain issue, I gradually got familiar with the structure of the local Legislative Councils websites and other relevant official websites.
MENG Bao Si, Bonnie (UG, Second Year, 2020)
It has been an exceptional opportunity to join the internship offered by the Department of Economics. Under the supervision of Prof. Fan Cheng Ze, my main duties have been conducting literature reviews, data processing, and preparing experiments. The experiment was to test the influence of extracurricular activities on student educational outcomes. I had not previously realized how important it was to hold control variables constant rigorously in real society settings. I was privileged to work with researchers from universities in the Greater Bay Area.
WANG Zhicheng, Josephine (UG, 2019)
I am grateful to have spent four years in Lingnan University studying Economics. The program offered a wide range of courses that provide comprehensive and in-depth views in economic area from various perspectives, from which I developed my own interest and equipped myself with solid knowledge foundation and deeper understanding in economic fields.
OSPANOVA Aida (PhD, 2019)
Now looking back to my PhD journey at Lingnan University, I can tell it was the most challenging yet rewarding experience in my life. Professional guidance and support from my supervisors and Department helped me a lot to accomplish my study. I had an opportunity to choose and do research in the area of my interest.
ANADUAKA Uchechi Shirley (PhD, 2019)
The Economics program at LingnanU provided me with the opportunity to develop a clearer view of my research interests in Micro-Development economics. The facilities provided are well equipped with the latest statistical software to ensure the students have all the resources they need for their research. The departmental and visiting professors were very helpful when I encountered some problems with my research. Interacting with them during personal meetings and departmental seminars made my research experience more meaningful. The department also supported me to attend important training workshops.
HE Jiaying (UG, Third Year, 2019)
It was a memorable and fruitful summer for me when I had a one-month internship in the Department of Economics at Lingnan University. As a research assistant, I participated in the project “Fighting Cartels in Mainland China and Hong Kong”. My duties included researching cartel whistleblower reward policy in different regions and preparing reports. I also worked on the industrial and technological background of China's cement industry.
HONG Xiaoyu (UG, Third Year, 2019)
It is a valuable experience for me to be the intern in the Department of Economics of Lingnan University. This internship has greatly improved my personal ability. It helped me learn a lot about research, literature review and collation, and the use of research-related software. This experience also gave me the opportunity to experience the process of economic research and gave me a lot of inspiration for research methods and directions.
YEUNG Kong Lung (UG, Third Year, 2019)
This summer, I took part in the internship program offered by Department of Economics. What I have learnt is very useful for me to boost my research skills. Having understood these skills, I am sure that they will be conducive to my further studies. All in all, this research has made me a fruitful experience in this summer holiday.
LI Xuan (MPhil, 2018)
MPhil program in Economics at Lingnan University is a great program. One could receive enough attention and guidance from his/her supervisors. Professors are knowledgeable and helpful. They are willing to help students to do rigorous and serious research.
HO Thuy-ai (PhD, 2019)
Participating in the PhD program in the Department of Economics at Lingnan University is great experience in my life and has brought enormous benefit to my academic career. The PhD study is very stressful by nature but has become an interesting journey to me with the insightful guidance, intensive support, and outstanding academic training I received from my supervisors and the Department's seminars. I also had chance to enhance my econometric and theoretical grounding by attending wonderful classes at Lingnan University and the University of Hong Kong under the Cross-Institutional Course Enrollment Scheme.
Zhang Lin (UG, 2016)
The four-year liberal arts education and discipline concentration in Economics has equipped me with necessary skills of critical thinking, effective communication, problem-solving and international engagement. Liberal arts education has always taught me to pay close attention to humanity issues and social surroundings, while economics has inspired and enabled me to think out of the box, draw incentives from people behavior and attempt to put forward effective solutions towards problems.
WANG Yanchen, Yannson (PhD, 2018)
My academic journey at Lingnan has been difficult, but valuable and meaningful. In these 3 years, I received a comprehensive training designed by my supervisors. The Cross-Institutional Course Enrolment Scheme provided me a generous opportunity to take different courses offered by other UGC-funded universities in Hong Kong. The department also supported me to attend important training workshops.
DENG Qing (UG, 2016)
LAW Yui, Roy (MPhil, 2012)
The Economics program provides throughout academic knowledge on Economics and Finance including fundamental economic theories and statistic techniques. This program facilitates students who want to pursue further postgraduate study on these two fields. Professors are helpful when students find difficulties in understanding course materials. Course designs are practical by including mainly the latest techniques and topics.
DAI Xiaoyi (UG, 2016)
I spent four fruitful years as an undergraduate student at Lingnan University and graduated with First Class Honor from the Economics major in 2016. The courses offered by our department cover a wide range of areas in Economics and the small-size classes allow us to keep good relationships with professors. Apart from studying, our department provides research-oriented internship opportunities for Economics students. This experience broaden my horizon and improve my data analysis skills.
KAHSY Haftom Bayray (PhD, 2016)
Dr. Haftom is currently working as Assistant Professor of Economics at Mekelle University in Ethiopia. His research interests include Micro Development, Education, Health, Agriculture and Technological Adoption.
He has been involved in the NOW-WOTRO Science for Global Development research project that aims to conduct an empirical research on the cost effectiveness of integrating weather index insurance into the productive safety net program in Ethiopia.
MA Yiu Chung, Arbitor (PhD, 2017)
I'm always proud of being a Lingnanian, being a student in such an impressive University. I could still remember when I was an undergraduate student, one of my very admired professor used only geometry to explain a very technical mathematics theory to me. His passion in teaching enlightened me to be a scholar like him. Time flies and I have earned my undergraduate, master and also doctoral degree from the Economics Department. The solid research training and the professional knowledge I gained here are proofed to be essential for my career development.
LEUNG Hin Shing (UG, 2017)
The 4 years’ undergraduate experience in Lingnan is valuable and meaningful. In these 4 years, I gained a lot from different courses offered by the Economics department. The coverage of these courses are comprehensive and well-organized. From learning basic techniques to exploring a wide range of areas in Economics, I was inspired a lot. In addition, professors are patient and enthusiastic in teaching and providing professional comments to us, which help us to learn better. Also, Lingnan emphasizes close faculty-student relationship.
WONG Chee Haung, Jason (UG, 2018)
"Connecting the dots"
Supported by the Lingnan Non-local Student Scholarship, my journey at Lingnan had been fruitful graduating with First Class Honor from the Economics major. I was exceptionally grateful to be enrolled in the Faculty of Social Sciences because the breadth of the interdisciplinary training established a coherent intellectual base for me to understand regional and international affairs from various angles. The courses' relevance to our everyday life emphasize on humanities and provide insights into the real world.
Goh Chen Yik, Galvin (UG, 2018)
Hi! My name is Galvin Goh Chen Yik. It was honored and grateful to participate and graduated from the Lingnan undergraduate Economic’s class of 2015. Prior to joining the Bachelor of Social Science Economic (Hons), I wanted to understand the reason why there is part of society are failing economically and suffered poverty throughout their life. Enrollment in the course not only allowed me to answer that question but trained me to have the ability to contemplate, think and empathize about society or the world from many perspectives. This has really shaped my personalities.
WONG Yuen Zhan (UG, 2018)
I have never thought of Hong Kong nor Lingnan University to pursue my undergraduate study back when I completed A-Levels in Malaysia because Hong Kong is not a very common place to be pursuing degree in my hometown. However, I appreciate the opportunities given by Lingnan, not only did I receive the opportunity to study here and explore the beauty and culture of Hong Kong but also, the opportunity to be Prof. Alex Wong’s research assistant, and to be involved in different service-learning and volunteer work.