Welcome to Master of Cities and Governance (MCG)
Professor YAU Yung
Message from the Programme Director
The world continues to urbanize. Cities are getting bigger and more diverse and face more complex and interconnected challenges. For urban governance these challenges include unprecedented environmental changes, accelerating societal aging, mass migrations, the transformational impact of new technology on everyday life and the growing scale and velocity of international financial flows.
To be involved in urban policy making and urban governance in the contemporary city offers an exciting and rewarding career which requires flexibility, creativity and the ability to work with a wide range of professionals and across disciplinary boundaries. The Masters in Cities and Governance at Lingnan recognizes the complexity and dynamism of the modern urban world through its unique blend of theory and practical application, experiential learning and a curriculum which draws on expertise from leading institutions, internationally and regionally.
Lingnan, as Hong Kong`s Liberal Arts University, offers an intimate and intense learning environment-which is difficult to find in most modern universities. And South China`s Greater Bay Area provides probably the best setting in the world to explore and understand the drivers of contemporary urbanization and the tasks and challenges of modern urban policy- making.
I look forward to seeing you at Lingnan.
MCG offers a concentration, namely Master of Cities and Governance (Environment and Sustainability), from the academic year 2022-23. Students enrolling in the MCG programme can choose to pursue this concentration.
- Interdisciplinary -drawing on insights from history, business, economics, politics, social policy, sociology and science
- Multi-institutional with inputs from experts from leading universities from across the region
- International perspectives from global partners
- Blends the applied and the theoretical through field visits and experiential learning
- Set within the learning environment of South China`s Greater Bay Area-one of the most dynamic urban regions in the world
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will be able to:
- Explain and assess key theories and frameworks in city governance
- Understand the key drivers of change in the contemporary city
- Apply relevant theories and knowledge to tackle problems in urban affairs management
- Evaluate and inform debates on city governance and policy
- Design and carry out research on city governance, and derive recommendations accordingly