12° Mask: innovative transparent mask for barrier-free communication
During the Covid-19 pandemic, mandatory mask wearing posed a challenge for the hearing-impaired who rely on lip-reading for communication. To address this problem, the team at LEI, in partnership with the Hong Kong Society for The Deaf, analysed the situation and various options available, and came up with an innovative solution: a transparent mask designed at an angle to allow optimal lip reading, as well as greater breathability.
Features of the 12° Mask include:
- Ultra-Low Reflection: Inspired by the geometry of stealth fighter jets, the face shield of the 12° Mask combines flat polygonal panes and low protrusion surfaces to minimize reflection.
- Reliable Protection & Breathability: Disposable low-cost H13 HEPA Filter blocks 99.95% of viruses while achieving high breathability.
- Wide Viewing Angle: Unobstructed side panes allow a panoramic view of the wearer's face and lip movement.
- Quick Release Anchors: It allows ear-hook and headband wearing, which can significantly reduce the burden on people who wear hearing aids for prolonged periods. It also addresses the specific needs of microtia patients and those who need to wear a headscarf.
- Renewable Antiviral Coating: Durable and wipeable with alcohol and water.
- Laugh Out Loud: Flexible silicon seal provides a comfortable and accommodates enthusiastic facial expressions.
The humanitarian technology invention has received multiple acknowledgements for its design and contribution to the society, including receiving the following awards:
- Gold Award winner at the international MUSE Design Award.
- Silver Medal Winner at the 48th International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva; and
- 1st Runner Up at the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers’ Enginpreneurs Award 2021.