Professor KÜHNER Stefan
Tel: (852) 2616 7197
Fax: (852) 2456 0737
WYL304, Dorothy Y L Wong Building
Department of Sociology and Social Policy
Lingnan University, Tuen Mun, Hong Kong
Stefan obtained his Ph.D. from the Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of York, United Kingdom. He joined Lingnan University in August 2016. His research interest centres on comparative social policy, poverty and well-being, and research methods. Stefan is Editor of the Research in Comparative and Global Social Policy book series (Bristol: Policy Press).
Areas of Interest
- Comparative and International Social Policy Analysis
- Social Welfare and Benefits Stigma
- Welfare Attitudes and Deservingness
- Child Well-being and Work-family Reconciliation
- New Social Risks and Welfare State Futures
MA (York, UK); PhD (York, UK)
Click here to see a full list of publications.
- Choi, Y. J., Kühner, S., & Shi, S. J. (2022) From “New Social Risks” to “COVID Social Risks:” The Challenges for Inclusive Society in South Korea, Hong Kong, and Taiwan Amid the Pandemic, Policy & Society.
- Addae, E. & Kühner, S. (2022) How Socioeconomic Status and Family Social Capital Matter for the Subjective Well-being of Young People: Implications for the Child and Family Welfare Policy in Ghana, Journal of Social Policy.
- Kühner, S., Lau, K. W. M., & Addae, E. (2021) The Mediating Role of Social Capital in the Relationship Between Hong Kong Children’s Socioeconomic Status and Subjective Well-being, Child Indicators Research, 14, 1881-1909 (2021).
- Kühner, S., Jiang, J., Lau, M., & Wen, Z. (2021) Labour Market Experience, Educational Attainment and Self-Reported Happiness: Crowding-Out among Young People in Hong Kong?, Journal of Education and Work, 34(3), 275-291.
- Kühner, S., Lau, M., Jiang, J., & Wen, Z. (2021) Personal Income, Local Communities, and Happiness in a Rich Global City: Evidence from Hong Kong, Journal of Asian Public Policy, 14(3), 314-332.
- Yang, N. & Kühner, S. (2020) Beyond the Limits of the Productivist Regime: Capturing Three Decades of East Asian Welfare Development with Fuzzy Sets, Social Policy & Society, 19(4), 613-627.
- Kühner, S. & Chou, K. L. (2020) The Politics of MPF Reform: Lessons from Public Attitudes in Hong Kong, Social Policy & Society, 19(3), 414-430.
- Yu, S., Chau, R., & Kühner, S. (2019) Defamilisation and Familisation Risks, Adult Worker Models, and Pro-employment/Decommodification Measures for Women: The Case of Hong Kong, Journal of International and Comparative Social Policy, 35(2), 194-210.
- Kühner, S. & Chou, K. L. (2019) Poverty Alleviation, Coverage and Fiscal Sustainability: Investigating the Effect of a New Social Pension in Hong Kong, International Journal of Social Welfare, 21(1), 89-99.
- Mok. K.H., Kühner, S., & Huang, G. (2017) The Productivist Construction of Selective Welfare Pragmatism in China, Social Policy & Administration, 51(6), 876-897.
- Hudson, J., Kühner, S., & Yang, N. (2014) Productive Welfare, the East Asian ‘Model’ and Beyond: Placing Welfare Types in Greater China into Context, Social Policy & Society, 13(2), 301-315.
- Hudson, J. & Kühner, S. (2012) ‘Analyzing the Productive and Protective Dimensions of Welfare: Looking Beyond the OECD’, Social Policy and Administration, 46(1), 35-60.
- Hudson, J. & Kühner, S. (2009) ‘Towards Productive Welfare? A Comparative Analysis of 23 OECD Countries’, Journal of European Social Policy, 19(1), 34-46.
- Hudson, J., Kühner, S., & Hwang, J. (2008) ‘Between Ideas, Institutions and Interests: Analyzing Third Way Welfare Reform Programmes in Germany and the UK’, Journal of Social Policy, 37(2), 207-230.
- Kühner, S. (2007) ‘ESPAnet/JESP Doctoral Researcher Prize Paper: Country-level Comparisons of Welfare State Change Measures: Another Facet of the Dependent Variable Problem within the Comparative Analysis of the Welfare State?’, Journal of European Social Policy, 17(1), 5-18.
Monographs, Book Chapters, Reports
- Kühner, S., Nakray, K., & Neff, D. (2021) India’s Social Policy Response to Covid-19: Temporary Relief in a Rigid Welfare Landscape, in: Global Dynamics in Social Policy CRC 1342: Covid-19 Social Policy Response Series: https://www.socialpolicydynamics.de/f/e7ca918b3d.pdf, Germany: University of Bremen.
- Köhler, G., Kühner, S., & Neff, D. (2021) Social Policy in South Asia: Comparative Policy Perspective, in: Zafarullah, H. and Huque, A. S. (Eds.) Handbook of Development Policy, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Lau, K. W. M. & Kühner, S. (2020) Children’s Worlds 3rd Wave National Report: China – Hong Kong (SAR), Lingnan University, Hong Kong.
- Lee, H. J., Kim, J., Hudson, J., Kühner, S., & Jun, G. (2018) The Composition and Effects of Cash and In-Kind Programs (In Korean), Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs Research Report 2018-08, Seoul: KIHASA.
- Kühner, S. & Nakray, K. (2018) India’s Emerging Social Policy Paradigm: Productive, Protective or What?, in: Mok, K. H. and Kühner, S. (eds.) Managing Welfare Expectations and Social Change: Policy Transfer in Asia, Abingdon/New York: Routledge.
- Kühner, S. (2017) ‘Convergence of Partisan Ideology in an Era of Competition – An Empirical Exploration Using Comparative Manifesto Data’, in Horsfall, D. and Hudson, J. (Eds.) Social Policy in an Era of Competition: From Global to Local Perspectives, Bristol: Policy Press.
- Hudson, J. & Kühner, S. (2016) Fairness for Children. A League Table of Inequality in Child Well-Being in Rich Countries (Unicef Innocenti Report Card 13), Florence: Unicef Innocenti Research Centre.
- Hudson, J., Kühner, S., & Lowe, S. (2015) The Short-Guide to Social Policy, 2nd Edition, Bristol: Policy Press.
- Kühner, S. (2015) ‘The Dependent Variable Problem Within the Comparative Analysis of the Welfare State Revisited: What If We Waited a Little Longer?’, in Irving, Z., Fenger, M. and Hudson, J. (Eds.) Social Policy Review 27: Analysis and Debate in Social Policy, Bristol: Policy Press.
- Hudson, J. & Kühner, S. (2011) ‘Analyzing the Productive Dimensions of Welfare: Looking Beyond East Asia’ in Hwang, G-J (Ed) New Welfare States in East Asia: Global Challenges and Restructuring. London: Edward Elgar.
Recent Invited Conference Presentations:
- Kühner, S. What If We Even Waited A Little Longer? The Dependent Variable Problem Within the Comparative Analysis of the Welfare State Revisited, School of Government, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China, 17 November 2021.
- Kühner, S. Beyond the Limits of the Productivist Regime: Capturing Three Decades of East Asian Welfare Development with Fuzzy Sets, Presented at the Research Centre for East Asian Studies, Soochow University, Taiwan, 9 September 2021.
- Kühner, S. Towards a Better Understanding of the Stigma Attached to Welfare Schemes Targeting Hong Kong Older Adults, Joint Research Workshop and Webinar Series on China and India Studies, Bouncing back from COVID-19: Comparative Perspectives from China and India, Lingnan University, Hong Kong, 20 April 2021.
- Kühner, S., Lau, K.W.M. and Addae, E. The Mediating Role of Social Capital in the Relationship Between Socioeconomic Status and Children’s Subjective Well-being in Hong Kong, Presented at the Expert Webinar: The Determinants of Asian Children’s Subjective Well-being: New evidence from the 3rd wave of the International Survey of Children’s Well-being, Lingnan University, Hong Kong, 22 June 2020.
- Kühner, S. Mixing Methods in Comparative Research, Presented at the International Postgraduate Summer School (IPSS) 2019, Lingnan University, Hong Kong, 27th June 2019.
Ad Hoc Journal Reviewer
Journal of European Social Policy
Journal of Social Policy
Journal of International and Comparative Social Policy
Social Policy & Administration
Policy & Politics
Social Policy & Society
Comparative Political Studies
European Journal of Public Policy
Academic Year: 2023 - 2024
Principles and Practice of Social Policy
Chief Supervisor: Mr. YUDA Tauchid Komara (PhD Student), Ms. YUNCG Qi Xuan (PhD Student) & Ms. CHEN Anqi (Mphil student)