General Information on Appointments
- Appointments are normally made on a fixed-term contract basis initially for up to three years*, which may be renewed subject to mutual agreement.
(Note: * Up to two years for appointments at Lecturer ranks in academic departments/units and research centres.)
Passage and Baggage
- An appointee from overseas is normally provided with an incoming passage to Hong Kong for the purpose of taking up a new appointment at the University. Baggage allowance will also be provided to a new appointee to contribute to his/her moving of personal effects to Hong Kong.
- Salary offered to appointees will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Where applicable, appointees will be entitled to annual leave, sick leave, maternity leave, paternity leave, conference leave, sabbatical leave, birthday leave etc. according to the terms of service and relevant University policies.
Medical and Dental Benefits
- An appointee is provided with medical benefits through a medical insurance scheme. Depending on the duration of the appointment and where applicable, his/her spouse and dependent children are also covered by the scheme. Under the scheme, a comprehensive coverage of medical (for both out-patient and hospital benefits) and dental protection is offered.
Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF)
- An appointee (including those from overseas who enter Hong Kong for employment for more than 13 months), if not already covered by overseas retirement schemes, has to join the MPF scheme. The University and the appointee will each make monthly contributions into a mandatory provident fund on the basis of five percent of the appointee's relevant income, subject to the minimum and maximum relevant income levels. Mandatory contributions can only be withdrawn in a lump sum at the age of 65. However, they could be withdrawn earlier when the scheme member has retired early and attained age 60 or permanently departs Hong Kong. For details, please refer to the website of Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority at: http://www.mpfa.org.hk/en.
- Depending on the duration of the appointment and where applicable, an appointee will be entitled to a gratuity from 10% to 15%. The gratuity for academic and senior administrative staff, including the University's contribution to the MPF, amounts to fifteen percent of basic salary and is payable every two years during the appointee's service with the University, with any balance paid on completion of the contract.
- The normal retirement age at the University is 65.
(Information on this page is only for general reference and does not represent any offer of appointment/benefits. Applicants and new appointees from overseas are encouraged to acquire more information about taking up residence in Hong Kong from the section "Information for Overseas Appointees". Further information will also be available from the Human Resources Office of the University, via email: email@example.com.)
The Minimum Wage Ordinance in Hong Kong establishes a Statutory Minimum Wage (SMW) regime aimed at striking an appropriate balance between forestalling excessively low wages and minimising the loss of low-paid jobs while sustaining Hong Kong’s economic growth and competitiveness. The University observes strictly to the SMW and ensures that all the staff members are paid not lower than the statutory requirement. Click here for more information on Statutory Minimum Wage.