Living and Working in Hong Kong

(i) Applying for an employment visa

  • Please complete the Visa Application Form (ID990A) to apply for an employment visa. For the ease of your completion of the Visa Application Form, you are advised to study the Guidebook (ID(E)991) before completing the form. You have to return the completed form to HRO together with the necessary supporting documents listed in the Guidebook.

  • Upon receipt of the above, the University will lodge on your behalf your work visa application in Hong Kong.


(ii) Visa for spouse and dependant children

  • If your spouse and dependant children come to Hong Kong for short visit only, entry visa may not be compulsory. You may first check the visa requirements for foreign nationals, in particular the visa-free period for visit at:

  • If your spouse and dependant children will stay with you and take up residence in Hong Kong, you may apply to bring in your spouse and unmarried dependant children under the age of 18 to Hong Kong according to the prevailing policy. To apply, please complete the relevant section(s) in the aforementioned Visa Application Form (ID990A).

  • Unlike your visa application which is sponsored by the University, you will be the sponsor of your dependant visa applications.


(iii) Visa renewal

  • Applications for renewal of employment visa will normally be accepted within 4 weeks before your limit of stay expires. To submit an application, you have to obtain a support letter from HRO and complete the Application Form for an Extension of Stay (ID91), which can be downloaded at:

  • The application has to be submitted at the Immigration Department in Wan Chai, or any one of the Immigration branch offices. Please refer to the Guidance Notes attached to the application form for details.


(iv) Visa to the Mainland China

  • A visa for Mainland China is required for overseas passport holders when traveling to the Chinese mainland. There are different ways to apply for the visa:

  1. Apply at the Embassy of the People's Republic of China in your country of residence or approach an Embassy (Consulate) of PRC in a neighboring country; or

  2. Apply at an overseas China Travel Service (CTS) branch in your country of residence.


(v) Entry to Hong Kong with Employment Visa

  • When your visa application has been approved, HRO will collect the entry permit (i.e. the visa) and send it to you by post. On the entry permit, a specific date (normally 3 months after the entry permit issue date) will be printed, advising you of the last day before which you can land in Hong Kong on the basis of the permit. You can paste the self-adhesive entry permit in your travel document. Upon your arrival, the Immigration Officer at Hong Kong airport will staple a slip showing your visa expiry date to your passport. Normally, the visa expiry date will be either a year after your date of entry or your appointment end date, whichever comes first. If necessary, you are supposed to renew your visa on or before the visa expiry date.

From Airport to Lingnan University



From Lingnan University to downtown


  • In front of the main entrance of Lingnan University, there is a bus-stop and the following buses running between Tuen Mun and the city centre in Kowloon are available.
    67X - Siu Hong Court (Tuen Mun) to Mongkok East Railway station
    67M - Siu Hong Court (Tuen Mun) to Kwai Fong Railway station

  • For point-to-point route search, you are recommended to visit the website of Kowloon Motor Bus Company at:



  • The nearest MTR Station to Lingnan University is the Siu Hong Station of the Tuen Ma line. It takes around 10 minutes' walk from the station (Exit F - Lingnan University) to Lingnan University or you can take the shuttle bus No. K51 (to Fu Tai) at the Siu Hong Station to Lingnan University. Please visit the website of MTR at: for more information.


(i) Tenancy procedure in Hong Kong

  • Property agents in Hong Kong will offer a list of suitable properties available for leasing and they are ready to take clients to view the properties. Once the lease is made, a down payment (normally equivalent to three month's rent) and the agent's fee (commonly equal to a month's rent) will be required. There will also be stamp duty and legal fees that is shared between the tenant and landlord.

  • The Estate Agent Authority of Hong Kong has published a monograph regarding Hong Kong Domestic Tenancy at:

  • It contains useful information about the tenancy procedure and practice in Hong Kong such as the common provisions in tenancy agreement and implied covenants of the tenant. You are recommended to refer to the monograph if you wish to rent an accommodation in Hong Kong.


(ii) Serviced Apartment

  • Serviced apartments occupy a middle ground between hotels and regular rental apartments.  Renting a regular apartment is often not a possibility with rental contracts in Hong Kong stipulating at least 1 to 2 years.  Most hotel rooms do not provide as much space as rental apartments, and cannot provide the same feeling of being a home away from home.

  • In these situations, renting a serviced apartment is the ideal solution.  Serviced apartments are a home away from home, providing a living environment that is more spacious than a hotel room, as well as being fully furnished. It provides all the benefits of a regular apartment, and you won’t have to worry about signing a wireless internet contract, paying electricity bills, or buying furniture.  Serviced apartments allow expats to focus on the work they’re here to do and to enjoy their stay in the city.

  • As serviced apartments act as a home away from home, the hardware is fitted differently than that of hotel rooms.  Serviced apartments are often equipped with a fully stocked kitchen as well as washing facilities.  Dining out may seem enticing during the first week of your visit, but even the best restaurants can get repetitive and eating out daily may heavily increase your expenditure.  It is also easier to cater to special dietary requirements when cooking at home.

  • The same applies to doing your laundry outside, which can be inconvenient, costly, and time consuming. Other living necessities, including living spaces like dining rooms and living rooms, will not have to be missed when moving to a serviced apartment in Hong Kong either. These living spaces and cooking and laundry facilities are convenient, cost-saving, and allow freedom as well as privacy during your stay.

The salaries tax is imposed on all income (including salaries, allowances, gratuities, etc.) arising in or derived from Hong Kong from an office or employment or any pension. Salaries tax is determined on a sliding scale according to a taxpayer's net chargeable income which is computed by deducting from his/her net assessable income allowable approved charitable donations and personal allowances. For details, you can click the link of the Inland Revenue Department at:

  • The Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) scheme is a retirement protection scheme for the entire working population in Hong Kong. Except for exempted persons under the MPF Scheme Ordinance, employees and the self-employed aged between 18 and 65 are required to join an MPF scheme. The employee is required to contribute 5% of the monthly relevant income, subject to the minimum and maximum relevant income levels, and the employer has to match this amount. The contributions required to be made by the employer and employee will be paid to the trustee of the MPF scheme.

  • Under the law, people from overseas who enter Hong Kong for employment for less than 13 months will be regarded as an exempt person. Work visa holders will continue to be exempted from joining MPF Scheme after the 13-month exemption period if they are covered by overseas retirement schemes.

  • Scheme members can only claim for payment of their accrued benefits when they attain the retirement age of 65. However, under the following circumstances, accrued benefits will be payable before the attainment of the retirement age:

    1. Permanent departure from Hong Kong;

    2. Early retirement and attainment of the age of 60;

    3. Total incapacity; and

    4. Death.

  • For details, please refer to the website of Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority at:

  • Climate
    Hong Kong has a sub-tropical climate, with temperatures ranging from 26-33 degree Celsius in summer and 14-20 degree Celsius in winter (occasionally, the temperature may drop to below 10 degree Celsius). For details, you may visit the website of the Hong Kong Observatory at:

  • Voltage
    Voltage in Hong Kong is 220 volts, so you may need an adaptor for your appliances and electrical equipment that require higher/lower voltage. On the other hand, the majority of electrical outlets in Hong Kong take a three-pronged UK-type plug. You can buy some inexpensive adaptors for your equipment when you arrive in Hong Kong.

  • Currency
    The unit of currency in Hong Kong is the Hong Kong Dollar, which is pegged to the United States Dollar at the approximate exchange rate of HK$7.8 to US$1 and it fluctuates slightly from time to time. Foreign currencies can be easily exchanged at the airport upon arrival, or at banks, tourist hotels, and authorized currency-exchangers.

  • Octopus Card
    Octopus card is a convenient electronic money card. It can be used in all major public transportation systems. It can also be used in many other places, such as convenience shops, fast food restaurants, carparks, recreational facilities and some supermarkets. Octopus card can be purchased from ticket offices of the Mass Transit Railway (MTR) stations, convenience stores, and some drug stores and supermarkets.

  • For further information on Hong Kong
    Please visit the Hong Kong Government Website.

Hong Kong International AirportLink
Hotels in Hong KongLink
Mass Transit Railway CorporationLink
Kowloon Motor BusLink
Citybus & New World First BusLink
Octopus CardLink


24-hour emergency number999
General police enquiries+852 2527 7177
Consumer Council+852 2929 2222
Hong Kong Immigration Department (24 hours)+852 2824 6111
Department of Health+852 2961 8989
Telephone directory assistance (English)1081

The information provided in this page is only for general reference and does not represent any offer of appointment/benefits. Should you have other questions or any views or suggestions, please let us know on (852) 2616 8962 or e-mail us [email protected].