Subsite Background

Internship/ Part-time Job

No Objection Letter (NOL)

Non-local students will receive a “No Objection Letter” (NOL) with their student visa from the Hong Kong Immigration Department. The NOL is permission from the Director of Immigration for non-local students to take up internships, part-time on-campus employment or summer jobs during their study in Hong Kong. Non-local students who have the NOL are in general, not required to make separate applications when taking up part-time on-campus employment and summer jobs. It is an important letter. Students should keep it carefully for future reference.  


Employment Restriction for Non-local Students

Non-local full-time degree-seeking students whose study is not less than one academic year may take up internships, on-campus part-time jobs / summer jobs subject to the following conditions as set by the Immigration Department:


  • Internship (excluding summer internship / summer employment)
  1. The internships must be study / curriculum-related and be arranged or endorsed by the institutions they are studying in;
  2. The duration of the internship is up to one academic year, or one-third of the normal duration of the relevant full-time academic programme, whichever is the shorter; and
  3. There is no restriction on the nature of work, level of salary, location, number of working hours and employers for the internship arrangements.


  • On-campus part-time job / summer internship / summer employment
  1. Part-time on-campus employment for not more than 20 hours per week throughout the year, unused hours are not allowed to roll over from one week to another; and
  2. Employment during summer months (between 1 June and 31 August, both dates inclusive) without limit in relation to working hours and location.


For more details, please refer to the website of the Immigration Department.


Internship Opportunities provided by the Office of Student Affairs

The Office of Student Affairs offers local, mainland and overseas summer internship opportunities to students who are keen to get work exposure. For overseas internships, the application normally opens in the first term. For Mainland and local internships, the application normally opens in the second term. For more details, please click HERE.


Subsidies for International students

International students of full-time undergraduate programmes are welcome to apply for internship programmes (except internships with specific study year/major requirements). Subsidies are provided to eligible students, including those from low and lower-middle-income countries who are selected for these programmes.


Apart from the internship, the Career Advising Services team of the Office of Student Affairs also provides career mentorship, advising services and recruitment talks to help students to plan and develop their future careers.