Teaching and Learning Centre
Supporting Learning and Teaching @Lingnan
In September 2022, TLC launched its new core professional development programme SLT@LU (Supporting Learning and Teaching @Lingnan) and Cohort 2 will be launched in September 2023. This programme is designed for Lingnan University staff and is mandatory for postgraduate students who teach or support learning. It aims to provide a firm foundation in educational principles and practice in the context and tradition of liberal arts education. There is a strong focus in the programme on equipping participants to design quality learning sessions.
The 26-hour programme has three modules through which participants will be guided and supported:
- An online self-paced module with a formative quiz
- Four interactive workshops on essential topics in education
- Developmental peer observations of teaching or learning support sessions
Programme schedule and study hours
18 September 2023
|Welcome, introductions and overview||F2F/1✔|
18-21 September 2023
|Outcome-Based Approach to Teaching and Learning||Online/2✔|
|22 September 2023
|Debriefing of OBATL||Online/1✔|
26-29 September 2023
Workshop 1 - Active and Collaborative Learning
Workshop 2 - Introduction to Active Blended Learning
Workshop 3 - Internationalisation of Higher Education
Workshop 4 - Introduction to Reflective Practice and Peer Observations
3-26 October 2023
|27 October 2023
|Debriefing of peer observations||FSF/1✔|
|To be decided by participants with advice from the facilitator||Independent Study/2✔|
28 October to 24 November 2023
|Design and rationale of a teaching or learning support session||Independent Study/6✔|
22 December 2023
|Celebration and certificate presentations||F2F/1✔|
*Hours marked with ✔ are compulsory to complete the programme
Assessment and Certificate
Participants will be awarded certificates on successful completion of the programme. Achievement of the programme learning outcomes is via completion of assessed tasks and activities.
*SLT@LU is internationally accredited and recognised through SEDA (Staff and Educational Development Association https://www.seda.ac.uk/ ) and aligns to the SEDA-PDF Award: Supporting Learning. Successful graduates of SLT@LU are entitled to refer to themselves as SEDA Recognised for Supporting Learning.
To join the SLT@LU programme you must be:
- Early-career faculty member with less than 3 years’ experience*
- Postgraduate student with teaching duties*
- Other staff member who directly supports learning, e.g., Librarian, OSA ILP Officer, etc.
* SLT@LU is mandatory for these categories. Please note that it is a pre-requisite that you are engaged in teaching or supporting learning during Term 1 2023-24.