For Incoming Students

Application Procedures

Q1: What are the requirements for the photos?

For your Student Exchange Application Form and Student Visa Application Form, you should affix your passport-sized photos.

For your Student ID Card, you should send a soft copy of digital photo with blue background to us by e-mail ( The size of the photo should not be larger than 55mm x 45mm and not smaller than 50mm X 40mm. The photo must be taken full face and without a hat. Please refer to the sample of white background photo below:


If you do not have a blue background photo, you can take one by our Registry after your arrival at Lingnan. However, it may take a few more days to process your Student ID Card.


Q2: Do I need to provide a proof for my English language proficiency?

A proof for your English language proficiency, e.g. IELTS, TOFEL or an endorsement letter from your home institution is required unless you are a native English speaker.


Q3: When will I be informed of the exchange application results?

You will be notified by e-mail usually within one month after the application deadline.


Q4: How can I settle the fees for visa application, hostel and other miscellaneous charges?

You should settle payment via the Online Application System upon acceptance.

Passports, Student Visas, Other Immigration and Customs Issues

Visa Application Procedure & Processing Time

Q5. When should I obtain a passport?

You should obtain a passport as soon as possible if you do not have one, as you need to provide your passport number and photocopy of your passport for your visa application. In addition, your passport should be valid for at least 6 months beyond the intended stay in Hong Kong.


Q6. How do I apply for a student visa?

Please refer to Student Visa for Education in Hong Kong.


Q7: How long does it take for processing of my visa application?

Visa application takes approximately 6 weeks. The Immigration Department is usually occupied with a large number of visa/entry permit applications for exchange students of all local universities in July to August and in November to December. Please be patient for your student visa.


Q8: I am a holder of Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card. Do I need to apply visa for the exchange?

No, you do not need to apply for a student visa for your studies at Lingnan. Please provide a photocopy of your Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card together with your Exchange Application Form.


Q9: I am a Mainland student. What should I do after obtaining my student visa from OGE? 我是國內交換生,收到貴處寄出的簽證後,我應該怎樣做?

You should apply for relevant exit endorsement from the Public Security Bureau Office where your household registrations are kept (Permit D) after obtaining your Notification Slip for Entry Visa/Permit from OGE.



Q10: I had a name change. Does this matter to my visa application?

Yes, a copy of the official proof of name change should be submitted to us for our onward transmission to the Immigration Department if you ever had your name changed.


Entry with Student Visa (IMPORTANT)

Q11: When should I purchase air tickets / train tickets to Hong Kong?

You are strongly advised to purchase the flight / train ticket to Hong Kong after you are notified by OGE that your student visa application is successfully processed by the Immigration Department. Otherwise, you will bear your own risk on purchasing air tickets / train tickets to Hong Kong in advance.


Q12: If I do not receive my student visa even in late August or early January and the new term commences soon, can I enter Hong Kong as a tourist?

No, you must obtain a VALID student visa to enter Hong Kong. Otherwise, you are ineligible for registering as a student at Lingnan .

According to the Hong Kong Immigration Department, “Visitors are not allowed by law to take up employment (paid or unpaid), to establish or join in any business, or to enter school as a student, nor, except in the most unusual circumstances, are visitors allowed to change their immigration status after arrival.

If you enter Hong Kong as a tourist, you are NOT a student visa holder and therefore you:
1. cannot enroll in any academic courses;
2. will not be covered by Lingnan’s insurance package during your exchange period as you are NOT officially enrolled as a student; and
3. have difficulty in joining student activities at Lingnan, especially orientation programmes.


Q13: What does it mean for “single entry” on the visa label?

Holders of single entry are allowed to enter and exit Hong Kong without any limit during the granted period shown on your visa.


Q14. Can I leave Hong Kong during my study period and return without re-applying for a new student visa?

Except for some countries, overseas students normally do not require a re-entry visa to resume studies in Hong Kong, provided that they return to Hong Kong within the limit of stay imposed with the student visa and that there is no change in circumstances since the last departure. In any case, you should first check with the Immigration Department before leaving Hong Kong.


Q15. Do I need another visa to visit Mainland China?

Yes, overseas students travelling to Mainland China are required to obtain a tourist visa, which can be obtained in Hong Kong. Further information is available at the local offices of the Hong Kong China Travel Service or other travel agencies.


Q16: Can I work in Hong Kong during my exchange period?

No, the Hong Kong Immigration Policy on Education states that if permission is given to a person to land in Hong Kong to study as an exchange student, he or she should not take any employment, whether paid or unpaid.


Q17. Is there any other issue regarding the Hong Kong SAR Government regulations / requirements that I should pay attention to during my study period at Lingnan?

Permission given to you for education in Hong Kong is subject to the condition that you shall only study in the university as approved. You cannot take up employment or engage in any business or undertake any work internships (unless the internship is required as an integrated part of your academic study at the university).

Anyone who intends to stay in Hong Kong for a period exceeding 180 days (six months) must apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID) from the Immigration Department within 30 days of arrival. Hong Kong law requires that official personal identification be carried at all times. Persons who fail to comply with this requirement risk being fined by the law court if caught. The HKID Card is a convenient means of complying with this law. While in Hong Kong, either while visiting or prior to obtaining a temporary identification card, foreign nationals should carry their passports at all times.


Academic Studies


Q18. What subject choices are open to me?

Lingnan offers undergraduate programmes leading to the award of Bachelor's degrees in Arts, Business Administration and Social Sciences. In general, you are allowed to take any courses from the course list, subject to availability and provided that you meet the prerequisite requirements and do not foresee any problem in the medium of teaching. If you have not received primary and secondary education with Chinese as a medium of teaching, the courses designed by the Department of Chinese and the Department of Translation may not suit you.


Q19. Are prerequisite requirements applied to exchange students?

Yes. You can provide a proof of academic background (course syllabus and official transcript) to the relevant lecturers or tutors to assess your qualification for your requested courses.


Q20. Are there any subjects specifically designed for exchange students?

To meet the needs of our exchange / non-local students, the Chinese Language Education and Assessment Centre (CLEAC) offers several Chinese language courses (Putonghua / Cantonese):

  • Credits Bearing Putonghua Language Courses for English Speaking Students
    LCC1601, LCC1602, LCC1603 and LCC1604 are designed from beginners, intermediate to advanced levels.
  • Non-Credit Bearing Cantonese Language Courses for English / Putonghua Speaking Students
    LCC1810 is designed to provide basic knowledge of Cantonese for Putonghua speakers while LCC1820 is for English speakers. Students accepted into LCC1810 / LCC1820 are required to pay a refundable fee. For details, please refer to "Registration of Additional Languages Courses".


Q21. How are credits of my courses transferred back to my home institution?

You should check carefully with your home institution about credit transfer of courses.


Course Registration

Q22. When does online course registration start?

It normally starts in early-July for 1st Term and mid-December for 2nd Term. You will be informed of your login names, passwords and registration procedures via e-mail.


Q23. My Lingnan account is blocked. What should I do?

You should send a request for activating your account to OGE via e-mail for our onward transmission to our Information Technology Services Centre (ITSC). Upon your arrival at Lingnan, you should contact ITSC (E-mail:; Telephone No.: 2616-7995) direct for assistance.


Q24. What can I do if the course I wish to take is full?

You may try again during the designated Course Registration Period. It is possible that other students may drop the course and the course opens up later. You may also try again during the Add/Drop period (around late August to early September for 1st Term and mid to late January for 2nd Term).

If nothing opens up, you may sit-in the course and obtain approval directly from the course instructor during the Add/Drop period. If approval has been granted by the instructor, you should enroll the course by submitting a duly completed "Application for Adding/Dropping Courses and Changing Sections" to the Registry. The form is available at the reception counter of the Registry or the Registry website.

You should note that your course enrolment is not guaranteed. It is important that you select alternative undergraduate courses and register for at least 12 undergraduate credits during the Course Registration Period to fulfill the minimum requirement as a full-time exchange student in case you are unable to enroll your desired courses.


Q25. When is the Add/Drop period?

Around late August to early September for 1st Term and mid-January to late January for 2nd Term. For the exact dates, please refer to the Academic Calendar.


Q26. Can I add courses with pre-requisite requirements?

The online course registration system does not have restrictions set for students to register courses that have pre-requisites. In other words, you can register for courses that have pre-requisites as long as the courses still have spaces available. However, you are required to submit your request for waiving pre-requisites and provide proofs of fulfillment of equivalent courses e.g. your transcript and course syllabus to the corresponding course instructor. Final enrolment will be subject to the approval of the course instructors and the availability of the courses. If waivers are not granted, you will be asked to drop the courses.


Q27. I have received an error message (e.g. Link Error: A1/A2/X2 required) while trying to add a course on the online course registration system. What does it mean?

It means that the course that you are trying to add is in LEC-cum-TUT mode. In such case, you need to register 1 LEC (lecture) session and 1 TUT (tutorial) session for this course. Please refer to the Guideline for Online Course Registration.

Arrival Arrangements

Q28. What are the arrival and departure dates for exchange students?

You should plan to arrive prior to the start of classes, i.e. mid-August for 1st Term and mid-January for 2nd Term. So that you can participate in our orientation programmes, complete all the necessary registration matters and familiarize yourself with the new environment. Please check with OGE for the recommended arrival date before arranging your travel.

Before leaving Lingnan, you must complete all programme requirements, examinations, assignments and leaving procedures.


Q29. Is there any pick-up service during non-scheduled time?

No, you need to make your own way to Lingnan out of designated arrival pick-up period. More information about our arrival pick-up service is available at Arrival Pick-up Service.


Q30. My arrival time falls close to/right at/slightly behind the scheduled pick-up time. For example, my flight arrives at 3:50 p.m. but the pick-up services are scheduled at 4 p.m. and 9 p.m.). Shall I opt for the service at 4 p.m. or 9 p.m.?

OGE representative(s) and/or Student Buddies arrive at the pick-up point 30 minutes before the scheduled time and the group leave the meeting point for the pick-up coach at the scheduled time SHARP.

For those arriving at the Hong Kong International Airport, you need around an hour after your landing to go through the Hong Kong Immigration Department for landing procedures, clear custom and pick up checked baggage (if any). Please allow sufficient time so that you can report to the meeting point on or before the scheduled time. Otherwise, you should opt for the next available schedule or make your own way to Lingnan.


Q31. Does arrival pick-up service open to accompanied parents?

Arrival pick-up service for accompanied parents is subject to availability on site and is not guaranteed. Prior reservation is not accepted and priority is always given to prospective students.

Please also note that accompanied parents are not allowed to stay overnight in the hostel. For information about accommodation on campus or nearby area, please refer to Q38 under the Living at Lingnan.


Q32. If I decide to make my own way to Lingnan, do I need to provide OGE my arrival details?

Yes, you are required to provide OGE your arrival details (including your arrival date, time, itinerary and port of entry) for our record in case of emergency.


Q33. If I make my own way to Lingnan, where should I go/who should I report to upon my arrival at Lingnan?

Please report to the Security counter at your assigned hostel. You will be required to show your (1) admission letter and (2) hostel room allocation email to proof your identity

You may also refer to the campus map in the Student Handbook (Appendix 4):
Hostel A to D: Southern part of the campus (no. 14 on the campus map)
Hostel E to H: Northern part of the campus (no. 17 on the campus map)
Wong Hoo Chuen Hall: Northern part of the campus (no. 21 on the campus map)
Wu Jieh Yee Hall: Northern part of the campus (no. 22 on the campus map)

Living at Lingnan

Q34. What kind of accommodation will be provided?

You will stay in our student hostels in rooms of 2 students each and share with a non-exchange student. For details, please refer to Accommodation.


Q35. Is the accommodation sex-segregated?

In general, in each of the hostel blocks, female student rooms are on the upper floors while male student rooms are on the lower floors. However, male and female students are sometimes mixed on the same floor but segregated into different wings.


Q36: Can I choose to live with my friend who comes from the same institution with me?

To facilitate exchange students in integrating into Lingnan and to promote internationalization, you will be arranged to live on-campus and to share room with a non-exchange student during the entire period of study at Lingnan. In other words, you will not share a room with another exchange student.


Q37. What is my hostel room address?

Please refer to the format of the hostel address below:
<Room number>, <Name of Student Hostel>, Lingnan University, Tuen Mun, New Territories, Hong Kong


Q38. My parents / friends plan to visit me. Can they stay in my room overnight? Or is there any accommodation available on campus or nearby?

Outsiders are not allowed to stay overnight in student hostels. They may look for the following hotels near to Lingnan:

(1) Pentahotel Hong Kong, Tuen Mun
(2) Hotel COZi • Resort

(3) Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel

(4) Harbour Plaza Resort City


On top of that, the Hong Kong Tourism Board provides a very useful search engine of Hong Kong hotels with detailed location maps.


Q39. If my exchange period falls from 2nd Term to 1st Term, can I stay in hostel during summer vacation?

Yes, but you need to apply for summer hostel and pay for summer hostel fee. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs for information.


Q40. What is catering services on campus, including their cost?

There is a student canteen and a full-service Chinese restaurant on campus. The cost per meal is about US$4 or above at the student canteen and about US$7 or above at the Chinese restaurant. For details, please refer to Catering Services at Lingnan.


Q41. Does the voltage of the electricity supply in Hong Kong suit the electric appliances (with voltage of 110-120, 60 cycles) from the U.S.?

The electric voltage in Hong Kong is 220-240v, 50 cycles. If you bring with you electric appliances, make sure that they are 220-240v adaptable. It is advisable for you to buy hair dryers and other small electric appliances with switchable voltage in Hong Kong.


Q42. How much cash should I bring with me? What about the use of credit cards?

Credit cards are widely accepted in shops, restaurants and travel agencies in Hong Kong. (It is advisable to notify your credit card issuing bank that you will be in Hong Kong.) The Hong Kong dollar is the currency unit here. The exchange rate is approximately US$1 to HK$7.8. You may bring in enough cash for your initial personal and miscellaneous expenses. There is a mini bank on campus, at which you may open an account for easy management of your finances in Hong Kong.


Q43. What is the arrangement for insurance coverage against accidents for exchange students?

A group personal accident insurance policy covers all full-time students including exchange students against death and permanent disablement arising from accidents while participating in academic or extra-curricular activities arranged by Lingnan and/or student organizations.


Q44. Should I arrange medical insurance from my home institution and/or my insurance agent?

You should first check with your home institution and/or insurance agent about medical insurance coverage. If your home insurance policy covers your overseas study, you should retain it. Otherwise you should arrange coverage of your overseas study in Hong Kong before your departure.

Please note that Lingnan’s insurance coverage does not apply to personal travel in and outside Hong Kong unless it is an official university activity. You should acquire adequate coverage when you plan a personal trip outside Hong Kong. Please check with the local travel agency for insurance coverage.


Q45: Where are the medical and dental clinics nearby? What is the coverage of the Student Medical Benefits Scheme and Student Dental Scheme?

Please refer to Health and Insurance.

Campus Activities and Facilities

Q46. Can I access sports facilities at Lingnan?

You enjoy the same access to both indoor and outdoor sports facilities as local students. The Office of Student Affairs arranges various sports activities such as squash, tennis, basketball, volleyball and soccer. For details, please visit University Sports & Cultural Teams.


Q47. What kinds of student organizations and activities are there on campus?

The Office of Student Affairs organizes a wide range of co-curricular and extra-curricular programmes for students to enrich their educational experience. In addition, a wide variety of activities are arranged by a number of student organizations and interests groups. Membership of these organizations/groups is open to all students. For details, please visit List of Student Groups.


Q48. Can I still login to the Lingnan Intranet after completion of my exchange programme?

No, our Information Technology Services Centre (ITSC) will restrict your access to the intranet and e-mail services after the end of each term.

Social Environment and Culture of Hong Kong

Q49. Are there any opportunities for first-hand Chinese cultural experience while I am in Hong Kong?

Yes. Hong Kong is the world city of Asia with deep roots in the Chinese traditions. You may experience first-hand cultural experiences during major festivals such as the Lunar New Year, Mid-Autumn (Lantern) Festival and Dragon Boat Festival. You may also find a variety of cultural shows, museums and historic sites in Hong Kong.


Q50. Are there any restrictions on religion or free speech in Hong Kong?

The laws of Hong Kong protect freedom of speech and religious freedom.