Subsite Background

Hong Kong Identity Card

Application for a Hong Kong Identity Card


Sample of Hong Kong ID Card

Sample image from the website of Immigration Department

It is a legal requirement that residents need to carry their valid identification at all times in Hong Kong.  All non-local students who are permitted to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days must apply for a Hong Kong ID Card in person at the Immigration Department within 30 days of their arrival.  There is no application fee for this process.  The processing time for an identity card application is usually 7 working days.  




Application steps:

1.  For students aged 18 or above

2.  For students aged below 18 (for students aged below 18, parents must sign on the application form)


Supporting documents:

  1. Birth certificate

  2. One-way Permit (only applicable to new arrivals from the Mainland holding One-way Permit)

  3. Valid travel document, passport/ 中華人民共和國往來港澳通行證, entry permit or affidavit showing his/her residential status in Hong Kong.  

  4. Identity card issued previously (if any).  


Students may go to the nearest Registration of Persons Office in Tuen Mun or Yuen Long to submit their application and supporting documents and collect their Hong Kong ID Cards.  


Registration of Persons – Tuen Mun Office

3/F, Tuen Mun Siu Lun Government Complex, 19 Siu Lun Street, Tuen Mun

(Light Rail Sam Shing Stop)

Location Map

General Registration of Persons Services 

8:00am - 12:45pm & 2:00pm - 4:30pm (Mon - Fri)
8:00am - 12:30pm (Sat)
Closed on Sundays and public holidays


Extended Service Hours (Only specific types of services will be provided)

4:30pm - 10:00pm (Mon - Fri)

12:30pm - 10:00 pm (Sat)

Closed of Sundays and public holidays

Tel: 2653 1035

Address and opening hours of Registration of Persons Offices

Registration of Persons – Yuen Long Office

1/F, Yuen Long Government Offices, 2 Kiu Lok Square, Yuen Long

(MTR Long Ping Station - Exit E) 

Light Rail Hong Lok Road Station)

Location Map

9:00am - 12:45pm & 2:00pm - 4:30pm (Mon - Fri)
9:00am - 12:30pm (Sat)
Closed on Sundays and public holidays

Tel: 2475 4114

Address and opening hours of Registration of Persons Offices


Loss of Hong Kong Identity Card

If a student loses their Hong Kong ID Card, they should report the loss to the police immediately and apply for a replacement at the Registration of Persons Offices of the Immigration Department within 14 days.  Please note that a fee will be charged for the replacement of a Hong Kong ID Card due to loss or damage.  


Detailed information of applying the Hong Kong ID Card

Hotline of the Immigration Department: (852) 2824 6111

Email: enquiry@immd.  gov.  hk