Important Reminders on Internet Scam and Telephone Deception
In case of any doubt and requiring further help, please call the Anti-Scam Helpline 18222. Anti-Deception Coordination Centre (Hong Kong Police Force under the Commercial Crime Bureau)
We would like to draw your attention to the internet scam and telephone deception cases that happened in Hong Kong. In recent years, there is an increasing trend in the number of internet scams and telephone deception cases in Hong Kong. Many people are the victims of these crimes including telephone deception, online romance scam, investment fraud, etc.
The frauds pretended they are calling from Express Companies, Departments of the Government such as the Immigration Department or Health Departments. Please stay alert when you receive these kinds of calls and most important, do not disclose your personal information or transfer any money to them.
(Posters from the website of ADCC)
Scam Statistics from the website of ADCC
If you receive these calls and have doubts, please call the Anti-Scam Helpline 18222 operated by the Anti-Deception Coordination Centre (ADCC) of the Hong Kong Police Force.
Anti-Deception Coordination Centre (ADCC) is a centre under the Hong Kong Police Force. ADCC’s functions are providing instant telephone consultation services, educating the public on the prevention of deception and monitoring and analysing the trend of deception cases, etc.
The Anti-Scam Helpline 18222 only provides consultation services. If you suspect that you have fallen prey to a scam, please report the case at the nearest police station. For emergency, dial 999.
Tuen Mun Police Station
Address: 100 Pui To Road, Tuen Mun, New Territories (Near the Tuen Mun MTR Station)
Tel: 3661 1670
Tips to avoid Telephone Deception, Internet and Rental Scams:
CyberDefender (a one-stop online information platform that helps the public identify scams and cyber pitfalls)
- How to set up a firewall (如何設置防火牆)
- AI deepfake telephone deception (AI 換臉視像通話詐騙)
- Naked Chat Blackmail 【佛系防騙（一）· 色戒 · 裸聊】
- Online Shopping Scam 【佛系防騙（二）· 筍則伏 · 伏則空】
- Online Investment Fraud 【佛系防騙（三）· 虛則騙之 · 騙則虛之】
- Online Employment Fraud 【佛系防騙（四）· 僥倖「扮工」一場空】
- Romance Scam 【佛系防騙（五）· 放下孽緣】
You are strongly encouraged to be aware of the defrauding trick used by scammers and the preventive tips. Do remind your relatives and friends to stay alert against scams. Should you have any enquiry on various scams, please call the anti-scam hotline at 18222. Thank you for your attention.
News about internet scam and telephone deception in Hong Kong:
- SCMP-"Hong Kong residents lose HK$726 million in 2021 to phone scammers pretending to be mainland Chinese officials"
- SCMP – “Hong Kong lawyer duped out of HK$5.7 million by phone scammers pretending to be mainland Chinese police, telecoms worker”
- The Standard-"Teen, 19, loses HK$2m in ‘mainland official’ phone scam"
- The Standard – “Three women lose HK$2.4million in online shopping scam”
- 香港01 - 警方首次邀請內地公安談電騙 強調不會派員到港執法
- 香港01 - 24歲內地男墮「執法人員」電騙 過數$120萬拿取「無罪案證明」
- 東網 -「上海公安」指涉洗黑錢 廿歲男學生被呃350萬元
- Hket -【偽冒電郵】首4月錄得127宗商業電郵騙案 釣魚電郵演習8成公司都有員工「中招」
- Hket -【慎防騙案】騙徒以「HKSARG」名義發SMS圖套取個人資料 警籲切勿受騙
- 文匯報 - 港漂女中連環計誤助「情郎」呃爸媽 獲釋後親述感受
- 星島 - 內地來港大學女生墮電騙險失500萬元 警一連9日破74案拘98人
Posters from the website of ADCC