Update on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Preventive Measures (8 February 2022) (只有英文版)
Following the latest announcement made by the HKSAR Government, the Health, Safety and Environment Committee would like to update colleagues and students on the following:
- Stay Alert on the Latest Local Development of COVID-19
With the higher transmissibility and risk of infection of the Omicron mutant strain, the Centre for Health Protection (CHP) strongly appeals to the community to continue to comply with the recently tightened social distancing measures, stay home as far as possible, and refrain from participating in unnecessary or crowded activities or gatherings (particularly religious or cross-family activities and gatherings). Colleagues and students please stay alert on the latest development of COVID-19 in the COVID-19 Thematic Website at https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/index.html and avoid going to the areas with confirmed cases.
According to the testing and quarantine arrangements for cases with mutant strains, persons who resided or worked within the same building as the residence of relevant cases will be subject to compulsory testing on specified dates in accordance with the announcement by the Department of Health (DH). They will also be required to undergo self-monitoring until the 21st day (see the details of the buildings and dates of testing at www.coronavirus.gov.hk/pdf/CTN_Specified_premises_and_Dates_of_Testing.pdf). Should you receive a compulsory testing notice, please strictly follow the compulsory testing requirements and undergo testing on time as required.
- Use Mask Properly
The Committee would like to have your special attention on the proper wearing of a mask with the following points to note:
- Choose the appropriate mask size to completely cover your nose, mouth and chin without gaps.
- Attain good seal with the face by minimizing air leak from edges.
- Masks with exhalation valve or vents which allow exhaling air to escape should not be used due to the fact that exhaled air are unfiltered and may pose a risk to surrounding people if the wearer is infected with COVID-19 or other respiratory infectious diseases.
For details, please refer to the Supplementary Note on Use Mask Properly at https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/supplementary_note_on_use_mask_properly_choose_the_right_surgical_mask_eng.pdf
3. Health Advice
All members of the Lingnan community are advised at all times to maintain strict personal and environmental hygiene, which is the key to personal protection against infection and prevention of the spread of the disease in the community. Special attention to the following highlights is required:
- All members shall wear masks on campus including indoor and outdoor at all times. It is important to wear a mask properly, including hand hygiene before wearing and after removing a mask. In case wearing mask is not feasible, for example when having meal or shower, please keep at least 1.5 meters distance from others.
- All members are urged to stay home to the extent possible, avoid dine in, reduce the frequency of all mask-off activities, and stop all unnecessary social activities, especially meal gatherings across family bubbles and friends.
- As lavatories and pantries are shared for use in hostel blocks, all residents are reminded that hostel rooms should not be used for quarantine. Should you receive any quarantine order, please inform your Warden Office immediately.
- Under Cap.599I, any person who is entering or present in public place cannot take off their mask for smoking. The scope of reasonable excuses for taking-off mask under Cap.599I does not include smoking. Smokers are more likely to touch their mask and face with their hands during smoking, leading to increased chance of infection. Besides, smoking damages lungs and weakens immunity. Smokers who have contracted COVID-19 are more likely to develop severe complications. We appeal to all members to avoid smoking in public places, including along the bridge connecting Main Campus and SEK Campus and Pan Sutong Sports Ground, and to quit smoking whenever possible. For information on smoking and COVID-19, please visit the website of the Tobacco and Alcohol Control Office or dial Quit line 1833 183.
- All members shall check your body temperature before coming back to campus. If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, such as fever, respiratory symptoms or sudden loss of taste or smell, you should seek medical advice promptly and not come back campus for classes or work.
- To assist contact tracing, keep a diary of your schedule, for example, the places you visited and the name of people you had close contact on campus. You may also use the “LeaveHomeSafe” mobile app to keep your visit records.
For information on COVID-19, please refer to the following links:
- HKSAR’s Thematic webpage on COVID-19 at: www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/index.html
- Webpage of Health, Safety and Environment Committee https://www.ln.edu.hk/hse
- Webpage on Mental Health Infostation at the following link: https://shallwetalk.hk/en/news/covid-19-and-mental-health/
If you are suspected or confirmed as infected or required to stay in the “restricted area” for COVID-19 test or under mandatory quarantine or compulsory testing notice, please notify your department / office or any of the following teams as soon as possible:
Thank you for your kind attention.
Chairman, Health, Safety and Environment Committee