Update on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Preventive Measures
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
- Preventive Measures
9 Sep 2022
As the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases stays high in these weeks, students and colleagues please stay aware of personal hygiene and the health advice / measures announced by the HKSAR Government as below.
- Extension of Social Distancing Measures
The Government maintained the existing social distancing measures and at the same time implement in a strict manner the various anti-epidemic measures including compulsory testing, quarantine/isolation, social distancing and Vaccine Pass (including Red Code and Amber Code).
Confirmed cases, including persons under home isolation and persons in community isolation facilities
Inbound persons from overseas places or Taiwan
The mandatory mask-wearing requirement under the Prevention and Control of Disease (Wearing of Mask) Regulation (Cap. 599I) still prevails. Also, unless exempted, group gatherings of more than four persons in public places will remain prohibited.
For details, please refer to
- Health Advice
To lower infection risk, all members of the Lingnan community are advised at all times to maintain strict personal and environmental hygiene, which is the key to personal protection against infection and prevention of the spread of the disease in the community. Special attention to the following highlights is required:
- The HSEC has revised the COVID-19 related guidelines on HSEC website
- All members shall wear masks on campus including indoor and outdoor at all times. It is important to wear a mask properly, including hand hygiene before wearing and after removing a mask.All members shall note the followings when wearing a mask:
- Choose the appropriate mask size to completely cover your nose, mouth and chin without gaps.
- Attain good seal with the face by minimizing air leak from edges.
- Masks with exhalation valve or vents which allow exhaling air to escape should not be used due to the fact that exhaled air are unfiltered and may pose a risk to surrounding people if the wearer is infected with COVID-19 or other respiratory infectious diseases.
For details, please refer to the Supplementary Note on Use Mask Properly at https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/supplementary_note_on_use_mask_properly_choose_the_right_surgical_mask_eng.pdf
- All members shall check your body temperature before coming back to campus and are advised to do RAT on regular basis. You can also conduct free nucleic acid test at Community Testing Centres and mobile specimen collection station (Community Testing Centres ). All individuals who have tested positive by rapid antigen test (RAT) shall truthfully register their results on the "Declaration System for individuals tested positive for COVID-19 using Rapid Antigen Test" (the Declaration System) of the Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health as soon as possible.
- If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, such as fever, respiratory symptoms or sudden loss of taste or smell, you should seek medical advice promptly and not come back campus for classes or work.
- Perform hand hygiene properly. It is advised to clean hands with liquid soap and water when hands are visibly dirty or visibly soiled with blood and body fluid, after using the toilet. When hands are not visibly soiled, hand hygiene with 70-80% alcohol-based handrub is also an effective alternative.
- As lavatories are shared for use in hostel blocks and on campus, all users are reminded to be considerate and keep the facilities clean after use.
- Under Cap.599I, any person who is entering or present in public place cannot take off their mask for smoking. The scope of reasonable excuses for taking-off mask under Cap.599I does not include smoking. Smokers are more likely to touch their mask and face with their hands during smoking, leading to increased chance of infection. Besides, smoking damages lungs and weakens immunity. Smokers who have contracted COVID-19 are more likely to develop severe complications. We appeal to all members to avoid smoking in public places, including along the bridge connecting Main Campus and SEK Campus and Pan Sutong Sports Ground, and to quit smoking whenever possible. For information on smoking and COVID-19, please visit the website of the Tobacco and Alcohol Control Office or dial Quit line 1833 183.
- To assist contact tracing, keep a diary of your schedule, for example, the places you visited and the name of people you had close contact on campus. You may also use the “LeaveHomeSafe” mobile app to keep your visit records.
For information on COVID-19, please refer to the following links:
- HKSAR’s Thematic webpage on COVID-19 at: www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/index.html
- Webpage of Health, Safety and Environment Committee https://www.ln.edu.hk/hse
- Tested positive or preliminary positive by Rapid Antigen Test (RAT): https://www.chp.gov.hk/ratp
- Tested positive or preliminary positive by Nucleic Acid Test: https://www.chp.gov.hk/cdpi
If you are confirmed as infected or under compulsory quarantine, please notify your department / office or any of the following teams as soon as possible:
During Office Hours
COFMD(O&M) - Campus Support Office
Human Resources Office
Office of Student Affairs
During Non-office Hours
Security Control (24-hour)
Thank you for your kind attention.
Prof Jonathan FONG
Chairman, Health, Safety and Environment Committee