Student Development Programmes
Athens Democracy Forum 2024 (ADF)
By Global Liberal Arts Alliance (GLAA) and Deree-The American College of Greece
Date: 1 to 4 October 2024 (Tue - Fri)
Venue: Athens, Greece
Quota for nomination: 2
The Global Liberal Arts Alliance (GLAA) will join Deree-The American College of Greece as Educational Partners for the prestigious Athens Democracy Forum (ADF) to be held in Athens, Greece from 1 to 4 October 2024. The theme of the Forum is "A Moment of Truth". It is organized by the Democracy and Culture Foundation.
Lingnan University, being a member of GLAA, will nominate two candidates to be considered for selection for the Alliance delegation to attend the Forum.
Registration fee is waived. The American College of Greece will provide meals, local transportation, and manage programme activities. Students will be awarded an Endeavor Fellowship to cover lodging, airfare from an airport near their home campus to Athens, and a visa application (if needed).
Delegates will be responsible for incidental costs while in Athens and during travel to and from Athens, including airport transportation. Office of Student Affairs will provide subsidies for successful participants for other expenses (maximum: HKD3000 per student).
Scope of Student Involvement at the Forum:
Students are full delegates to the Forum and are invited to attend all sessions. Student delegates are expected to make meaningful contributions, particularly in providing a youth perspective from their part of the world. Student involvement will include the following:
- Forum Topic Panel Questions: There will be a panel for each of the Forum topics. Alliance students will be invited to ask questions raised by the panels.
- Forum Topic Panels Videos: One-minute videos created by students that related to one of the sessions.
- Full-time Undergraduate Students (Except Year-4 students)
- Attaining Cumulative GPA 3.0 or above
- Advanced oral and written skills in English
- Having a keen interest in and engagement in the Forum’s topics, and be able to work with students from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrating high sense of responsibility, co-operation and strong participation in student activities in the University, and notable contribution to community service
*Students should take their summer obligations, fall course load, and the number of days they will miss class (including travel days) into account in considering whether to apply (see Important Dates below).
Please submit the following documents by email to Mr Gordon Ho (OSA) by 28 February 2024 (Wed).
- Student Delegate Application
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Academic transcript (Unofficial one is also acceptable)
|Notification of acceptance
|Visa application submitted (if needed)
|Groups are assigned; groups meet by video conferencing/email and complete preparatory work
|NOTE: The following dates might shift earlier by one day. The Forum dates will be announced mid-February.
|Student delegates arrive in Athens; the program begins with a reception on the evening of September 29
|Athens Democracy Forum opens
|Athens Democracy Forum ends
|Workday to draft reports (plus excursion!)
|Student delegates return to their campuses
You may browse HERE for more details about the forum.
Mr Gordon Ho