Career Advising Services
STEM Internship Scheme 2022/23
The Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC) launched the STEM Internship Scheme (the "Scheme") intending to encourage STEM students to gain innovation and technology ("I&T")-related work experience during their studies and to foster their interest in pursuing a career in I&T after graduation, in order to enlarge the local I&T talent pool. The University Grants Committee ("UGC") will provide an allowance for eligible students to enroll in full-time short-term internships in I&T-related work.
The internships can be arranged during Term Time and Summer Term.
For further details about the Scheme, please visit the website of ITC.
Eligibility of Students
- The Scheme is open to full-time students (local and non-local students), who are legally employable in Hong Kong and studying one of the following programmes offered by Lingnan University:
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Data Science (UGC-funded programme)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Animation and Digital Arts (UGC-funded and self-financed programme)
- Full-time non-local students enrolled in any of the above-mentioned academic programs are subject to a quota, capped at 20% of the total number of Lingnan University students sponsored by this Scheme per academic year unless prior approval from ITC has been obtained.
- Full-time non-local students are allowed to enroll in internships in Hong Kong only under the Scheme.
- Subject to approval by respective Departments, eligible full-time non-local students may take up study/curriculum-related internships outside the period from June 1 to August 31. The concerned non-local students should seek prior endorsement from School/Department and apply for a separate “No Objection Letter” (NOL) via the Hong Kong Immigration Department if they have not been issued a valid one before.
- Students are advised to click here for more details on employment policies for non-local students. Adequate lead time is required because the total processing time by respective academic units and Hong Kong Immigration Department may take up to 4 to 6 weeks.
- Exchange-in students are NOT eligible for the Scheme.
Eligible Internship Period
Only full-time internship is eligible under the Scheme. The minimum eligible internship period is four consecutive weeks (i.e. 28 consecutive calendar days) while the maximum is capped at three months.
- Each eligible student will receive an allowance of HK$11,190 per month (i.e. 30 days)
- Capped at three months (i.e. 90 days, maximum at HK$33,570) in each academic year
- The first and the last days of the internship should be working days. In case Saturday and/or Sunday are regarded as working days in the employment contract, they can be included in the subsidy calculation.
- Includes employee’s MPF contributions upon 60 days or more of the employment period
How to Join the Scheme
- To submit the completed “Internship Offering Form” to OSA (career@LN.edu.hk)
- OSA will review the job details and inform respective employers whether or not the job submitted can be included in the Scheme within 3 working days.
- To secure the funding, before giving an offer to a Lingnan student, the employer must contact OSA to confirm if the successful candidate is eligible to be included in the Scheme.
- After the notification of OSA, the employer can contact the eligible candidate and then sign an employment contract with him/her. The employer is required to submit the signed contract to OSA within 3 working days. OSA reserves the right to release the quota to another successful candidate if the signed contract is not received by OSA.
- If employers have successfully identified and recruited students from Lingnan, please email OSA (career@LN.edu.hk) the following documents for record:
1. Placement of Internship Form
2. A copy of the signed appointment letter
Each participating student may receive the allowance under the scheme for more than one internship place in the same academic year (e.g. September 2022 – August 2023, for a maximum of 90 days), provided that the employers are not the same and the internship periods do not overlap.
After the completion of the internship, the participating employer has to submit an internship report or evaluation form for the intern and provide copies of payment supporting documents to the Office of Student Affairs (OSA). OSA will reimburse an employer the full amount of subsidy upon confirmation and approval of the above-mentioend documents, according to the actual period of internship, provided that the actual working period is no less than four weeks. If the actual working period is less than four weeks, no subsidy will be reimbursed to the employer, no matter the early termination was initiated by the student or the employer.
- Under the scheme, the subsidy is HK$11,190 per month (i.e. HK$373 per day);
- The maximum duration of the subsidized period is 90 days / 3 months;
- The maximum subsidy for each student is $33,570 (i.e. 90 days); and
- The first and the last days of the internship should be working days. In case Saturday and/or Sunday are regarded as working day in the employment contract, they can be included in the subsidy calculation.
ITC will disburse the funding to the universities on a reimbursement basis. Participating employers may pay the student interns an honorarium on top of the allowance under the Scheme with reference to their internal policies, industry benchmarks or market rates. Companies/organisations should not receive other subsidies from the HKSAR Government for engaging any student interns under the Scheme.
Employers should note the following:
- Students will apply direct to employers via job vacancies details on job list through intranet.
- Nominations to employers will be made upon request.
- The employment arrangements should comply with the Employment Ordinance, the Minimum Wage Ordinance, the Mandatory Provident Fund Ordinance, and other related ordinances. For details, please visit the websites of Labour Department and Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority.
- OSA will evaluate the employer’s company size, learning values of the internship, etc. to determine the quota for each employer. The University holds sole discretion in this decision.
- Remote working is not allowed under the Scheme.
- Apply to the company directly according to the procedure and deadline as stated in the "Job List" .
- After you receive the offer from the company, student should submit the "Application form for STEM Internship Scheme 2022/23" within 3 working days upon receiving verbal offer from the company to OSA (career@LN.edu.hk) for approval.
- Once your application is approved by OSA, you can proceed to sign the appointment letter with the company and commence the internship.
Office of Student Affairs – Career Advising Services
Tel: 2616-7406 / 2616-7306