Language Learning and Cultural Exchange Opportunities
1) Student-initiated Multi-Cultural and Multi-Lingual Enhancement Programmes Campus Fund (MMCF)
The Student-initiated Multi-Cultural and Multi-Lingual Enhancement Programmes Campus Fund (MMCF) is a funding scheme which adopts a bottom-up approach with an aim to facilitate students in organising programmes for language learning and cultural exchange. Students can apply for MMCF for subsidizing any activities with the objective(s) of language learning and/or cultural exchange such as, but not limited to, global cinema followed by discussion, introduction to cuisines of different countries, world classics reading club, attending cultural and art appreciation programmes and conducting field trips to historic sites in Hong Kong for cultural appreciation etc.
Do find out more about MMCF at https://www.ln.edu.hk/osa/l2ei/mmcf
2) Buddy Scheme@Lingnan Language Enhancement Initiative (L2EI)
To facilitate the utilization of MMCF and encourage participation in L²EI programmes or activities, Buddy Scheme@L²EI has been introduced and is now open for registration! All you need to do is to provide us with your information and interests in language learning and register as one of the Language Buddies, then we will:
- introduce peers with similar interests in language learning to you
- provide you with programme templates/suggestions to facilitate your application for MMCF
- refer to you relevant language programmes or activities offered by Hostels, CLEAC and CEAL that suit your language learning interests
- give you priority in enrolment of L²EI programmes or activities
Registration is open throughout the year. Join us now!
More details are the Buddy Scheme@L2EI at https://www.ln.edu.hk/osa/l2ei/buddy-scheme-l-ei
3) Language Learning Opportunities provided by the Centre for English and Additional Languages (CEAL)
Supported by the Centre for English and Additional Languages (CEAL)
1) English Language Support Services (ELSS)
Lingnan’s ELSS provides English language support for academic study and organizes a wide range of social activities for students to practise English and meet people from other cultures in a relaxed and informal environment. ELSS has a dedicated website including information on the latest activities and events, a variety of English language resources for self-study and an online booking system for one-on-one tutorials.
2) Visiting English Tutors (VETs)
Our VETs offer English expertise with a friendly face daily during drop-in consultations and one-on-one tutorial appointments. Our purpose is to help you develop your language proficiency and effective academic and social skills that you can then independently use to meet the demands of your studies. Our VETs run many services, including those listed below.
Come along to LBY202 with a piece of work or drop by for a friendly chat and tea any day of the week between 10:30–13:30 and 15:00–18:00. No appointment necessary!
Our VETs have a variety of resources and materials to help you improve any aspect of your English learning.
Academic English Support
- One-on-one IELTS workshops covering writing, speaking, listening and reading, scheduled at convenient times throughout the week
- One-on-one consultation on written assignments (including essays, reports and literature reviews) and professional documents (including resumes and personal statements)
- One-on-one or small group workshops focussed on speaking English in different situations (including presentations, seminar discussions, debates and job interviews)
- Small group academic writing workshops based on CEAL courses
Social Activities for Practising English
- English Corner: for an informal chat with us in a café setting
- Game Nights: join us and play different board games in small groups
- Movie Nights: watch and discuss a film together with us
- Outings and Local Sightseeing Tours with exchange students
- Student Hostel Activities with hall tutors
English Language Support Service – LBY202
2/F, B.Y. Lam Building
Tel: 2616 7984
3) Additional Languages
CEAL offers a new minor course in Korean Language and Culture along with beginner and intermediate-level courses, both credit and non-credit bearing, in French, Spanish, Korean and Japanese. For further information, please visit https://ln.edu.hk/ceal/courses/addlang.php or email email@example.com
4) Language Learning Opportunities provided by the Chinese Language Education and Assessment Centre (CLEAC)
Distinguished for the academic excellence of its staff and the high standards of teaching, the CLEAC offers highly popular extra-curricular activities covering Putonghua, Cantonese, Hong Kong Culture, Performing Art, Chinese Language & Literature and Cultural Communication. Located in Hong Kong, Asia's Global City, our Centre can support students in self-enrichment, network building, and integration into Hong Kong community. For details, please visit https://ln.edu.hk/cleac/LLEI.php