Subsite Background

Financial Matters

Banking Service


Opening Bank Account

Non-local students are suggested to have their local bank accounts while they are staying in Hong Kong. This can be arranged at any local bank. To open an account, students will need to book an appointment with the bank, complete and submit an application form to the bank together with the following supporting documents:

1) Passport / Chinese Travel Permit and China Identity Card (中華人民共和國往來港澳通行證及中國身份證)
2) Hong Kong ID Card
3) Letter of Admission
4) Lingnan University Student ID Card
5) Proof of address in Hong Kong (Please contact the Office of Student Affairs to get the hostel address after your arrival)
6) Proof of permanent address in the home country within the past three months (e.g. letter of admission with home address, bank statement in English/ Chinese or utility bills in English/ Chinese issued in the last three months or latest driving license (with photo and address) in English/ Chinese)
7) Contact phone number in Hong Kong and e-mail address

*Students under 18 must be accompanied in person by their parent(s) or legal guardian to open a bank account at one of our local banks.



Automated Teller Machine (ATM)

Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) providing 24-hour cash withdrawal services can be easily found in Hong Kong such as MTR stations and large shopping malls. The nearest ATMs are available at the Fu Tai Shopping Centre which provides cash withdrawal service for ATM cards that are part of the following networks: PLUS, UnionPay, Cirrus, VISA, JETCO and MasterCard. Students can use their home bank ATM card to withdraw local currency in Hong Kong dollars. However, the home bank may charge a transaction fee for using of ATM card overseas.

There is no cash withdrawal fee when using local bank ATM cards. Students may transfer money from their home country, or make an ATM withdrawal from their home bank and deposit the money into their local bank account.



Credit Cards

Students may apply for a local credit card at any local bank in Hong Kong. Most shops and restaurants in Hong Kong will accept VISA and MasterCard; some will accept UnionPay Cards. The shops will usually indicate the types of cards they accept at the entrance.

Friendly reminder: Cash advance charges may be charged if students use their credit card to withdraw cash from the ATM.




E-wallets are one of the most popular electronic payment methods in Hong Kong, which allow users to use a smartphone or a computer to shop online and/or transact at physical stores. Each e-wallet allows users to add value on their e-wallets via a debit/credit card, a bank account and/or other designated channels like convenience stores and automatic teller machine.

*Alipay and WeChat Pay are accepted by Canteen (Tai Ning Hall) and some merchants in Fu Tai Shopping Centre. 


Common E-Wallets in Hong Kong
GovHK Apps Alipay (iOS/Andriod)
GovHK Apps WeChat Pay (iOS/Andriod)
HK Immigration Department App Tap & Go (iOS/Andriod)
GovHK Notifications Octopus (iOS/Andriod)
EventHK Payme (iOS/Andriod)



Living Expenses

First Month

It is recommended that students can prepare HK$4,500 - $5,000 for their first month expenses.


Estimated Monthly Expenses

The cost of living will vary among individuals. The following tables is listed for general reference only:

Item Approx. expenses per month (HKD)
Meals (on campus) HK$3,000 - $3,500
Entertainment HK$300 - $600
Transportation (local) HK$200 - $500
Miscellaneous HK$300 - $500
Total HK$3,800 - $5,100